The International Centre for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS) — comprising the H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry and the Dr. Panjwani Centre for Molecular and Drug Research in Karachi, Pakistan — and TWAS offer fellowships to young scientists from developing countries (other than Pakistan) who wish to pursue research towards a Ph.D. in chemical and biological sciences. The program is for scientists from the following fields:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural, Cell, and Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
- Chemical Sciences
TWAS-ICCBS Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at the International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS) – comprising the H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry and the Dr. Panjwani Center for Molecular and Drug Research – for studies leading to a Ph.D. degree in the following fields: organic chemistry, biochemistry, biotechnology, molecular medicine, pharmacology, physical chemistry or analytical chemistry.
From the founding of TWAS to the present day, Italy has provided essential encouragement and support to the Academy
In the early 1980s, elite Italian scientists joined in the work of Pakistani Nobel laureate Abdus Salam to establish TWAS. Soon, with the backing of top Italian lawmakers, Italy provided an early grant that allowed TWAS to build momentum. Since TWAS’s inception, the Italian Government has provided core funding for the Academy’s operations. The partnership with Italy is still central to the Academy’s activity.
TWAS periodically holds its biennial General Meeting in Trieste. Working closely with the Italian Government, TWAS conducts events on international research cooperation, science diplomacy, and other projects of mutual interest. TWAS also has an enduring relationship with major Italian scientific organizations and universities.
Actively engaged in its headquarters city of Trieste, Italy, TWAS is part of the ‘ Trieste System ‘ of scientific organizations, regularly joins in public initiatives such as the Europe-wide ‘ Researchers’ Night ‘, ‘Trieste Next’ and other educational projects, broadly covered by the Italian news media.
- A monthly stipend to cover living costs, such as food, accommodation, local transportation, and incidental minor illness.
- The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- Must be a maximum age of 35 on 31 December of the application year;
- Must hold a Master’s degree in the field of natural sciences;
- Must be nationals of a developing country (other than Pakistan);
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Pakistan or any developed country;
- Must provide a certificate of good health from a qualified medical doctor;
- Must be registered Ph.D. students in their home country and provide the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the HOME university (see sample);
- Must provide an official Preliminary Acceptance Letter from ICCBS;
- Must provide evidence of proficiency in English, if the medium of education was not English;
- Must provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- Must not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Must be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
- Applicants must create an online account at the official portal(available at the apply link) to make an application.
- Applicants must log in to the account and fill out the application form to complete the application process.
- Applicants must submit an Acceptance Letter from ICCBS when applying, or by the deadline at the latest.
- Applicants may apply for only one program per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolios.
- The head of an institution that invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programs may apply for another program.
- Applications can only be accepted via the online portal.
- Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters must be on letter-headed paper and SIGNED.
Application Deadline: June 30, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link