For young scientists from developing countries (other than India) who wish to pursue postdoctoral research in emerging areas in science and technology for which facilities are available in laboratories and institutes of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) of India. TWAS-CSIR Postdoctoral Fellowships are tenable in CSIR research laboratories and institutes in India for a minimum period of six months to a maximum period of twelve months. CSIR and TWAS will keep about 20% of 2021 awards for COVID-19 related research topics.
These could be in the area of :
- Digital and Molecular Surveillance.
- Rapid and Economical Diagnostics.
- Repurposing of Drugs, Vaccine and Convalescent Plasma Therapy.
- Hospital Assistive Devices and PPEs.
Applicants are encouraged to apply for the preliminary acceptance letter as early as possible, even before the opening date of the call. Keeping in mind that only Acceptance letters dated the same year as the year of application are eligible.
- CSIR will provide a monthly stipend to cover for living costs, food and health insurance.
- The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- In addition, Fellowship awardees are entitled to subsidized accommodation.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- be a maximum age of 45 years on 31 December of the application year.
- hold a PhD degree in a field of science or technology.
- must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country.
- be regularly employed in a developing country and hold a research assignment.
- be accepted at a CSIR laboratory/institution and provide an official acceptance letter from the host institution (see sample Acceptance Letter that can be downloaded below or included in the application form). N.B. Requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen CSIR host institution(s), with copy to the CSIR contact person. This will allow CSIR to monitor requests and offer support or assistance in finding suitable host institution(s),if necessary.
- provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English.
- provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship.
- not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship.
- be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
- Applicants should submit the Acceptance Letter from a CSIR institution to CSIR and TWAS when applying or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Applications for the TWAS-CSIR Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme can ONLY be submitted to TWAS via the online portal and copy of the submitted application must be sent to CSIR by email. A tutorial on how to use the online application form is available below for download.
- Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes. One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes may still apply for another programme.
Application Deadline: July 31, 2021Application ClosedOfficial link