The Matsumae International Foundation is welcoming future researchers to come to Japan and conduct research. The MIF has already invited about 850 Research Fellows from 120 countries/regions over the years. The main purpose of the MIF is to provide young researchers who are passionate about contributing to solving the various issues facing their home countries with opportunities to learn from the scientific and technological knowledge that has been cultivated in Japan. They also hope that the time in Japan will deepen the fellows understanding of Japanese culture so that in the future, they can become prominent researchers who can act as bridges between their own countries and Japan. They also organize Study Tours in Japan for fellowship recipients to provide opportunities for contact with Japanese history, culture and businesses so as to garner deeper experience, and also to learn about the importance of the peaceful use of science and technology with high ethical standards.
In order to achieve the MIF founder’s purpose of building links between Japan and the world through the nurturing of researchers, each year they invite young researchers from around the globe to Japan. Around 10 applicants receive the fellowship. The fellowship period is three to six months between April 2023 to March 2024. Fields of research such as natural science, engineering, and medicine are given first priority.
Applicants are free to choose a host institution in Japan (universities, national research institutions, or the equivalent facilities in the private sector) to carry out their research. You are required to obtain a letter of acceptance from the host institution prior to application. The MIF is not in a position to give advice or recommendations to applicants regarding host institutions in Japan. Fellowships are provided to the successful applicants only and are intended for necessary living expenses and research activities in Japan. Under no circumstances, this fellowship is transferable.
Applications are evaluated by the MIF Screening Committee on the basis of academic value and the degree of perfection of the research projects. The results will be announced on the MIF website in December 2022. The MIF will send a grant letter to successful applicants.
- A monthly allowance of JPY 220,000 is provided to cover expenses for research activities (including materials) and living expenses in Japan.
- JPY 120,000 is provided to cover part of the initial costs of living in Japan as an Arrival Fund.
- Round-trip economy class airfare is provided between the nearest international airport from a grantee’s domicile and Tokyo, Japan.
- Overseas travel insurance with medical treatment and death benefits is provided.
- The MIF invites fellowship recipients to participate in a study tour during their fellowship to deepen their understanding of Japan.
- The fellowship will be granted within the period specified in the grant letter, which cannot be extended or shortened.
- The individual specified in the grant letter is eligible for the grant. The MIF will not be involved in any way with regard to the immigration procedures, airline tickets, or accommodation expenses, for the family, companions, etc. of the selected applicant.
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all the following requirements are eligible to submit application documents.
- Applicants must obtain an invitation (acceptance) letter from a host institution in Japan prior to application.
- Applicants must hold a PhD (Doctoral degree).
- Applicants must be at the age of 49 years old or younger at the time of application.
- Applicants must have sufficient English or Japanese language ability.
- Applicants should not have past or current experiences of staying in Japan (other than short-term stays such as for sightseeing or conferences)
- Applicants must have an occupation in their home countries, return there upon completing their fellowship tenure and should contribute to the development of their own country.
- Fields of research such as natural science, engineering, and medicine are given first priority.
- Applicants must download the application form from their given link.
- All documents must be typed in English and submitted as PDFs.
- Applicants must submit their application documents to the MIF via e-mail at [email protected]
- Make sure that the form is filled out precisely.
The following documents must be submitted,
- An ID photograph taken within the past three months.
- A research plan.
- One publication (PDF) related to the research project that you intend to conduct in Japan.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) and List of Publications.
- Recommendation Letter from your current home institution (employer) and written on its letterhead. It should testify to your academic ability and achievements and confirm the availability of study leave during your fellowship period.
- Soft copies of Academic Certificates/Diplomas for PhD, Master’s, and Bachelor’s Degrees (attach English translations (Self-translations are not acceptable) if these documents are not available in English.)
- Invitation Letter from and signed by your host professor/scholar in Japan.
Application Deadline: June 30, 2022 (44 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link