Upon the concept of the founder of the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF), “Towards A Greater Understanding of Japan and a Lasting World Peace”, MIF has started the Research Fellowship Program in 1980.“2022 Research Fellowship Program” has been officially released. Fields of research such as natural science, engineering and medicine are considered with first priorities.
Host Institution in Japan:
Applicants are free to select host institutions (university research laboratories, national research institutions, or the corresponding facilities of private industry)
The Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) is a nongovernmental organization whose Fund is solely based on donations from many Japanese people who have responded with goodwill to Dr. Shigeyoshi MATSUMAE’s call. While many donations have been kindly offered by corporations and groups, most of the donors are individuals who are sympathetic with the Founder’s ideals and maintain contributions to the Fund from their limited incomes. Upon the concept of the founder of the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF), “Towards A Greater Understanding of Japan and a Lasting World Peace”, MIF has started the Research Fellowship Program in 1980.
- Monthly Allowance : JPY 220,000/month is provided for the purpose of expenses for research materials and living expenses.
- Personal accident insurance with death benefit and medical treatment.
- Sickness insurance with death benefit and medical treatment.
- Air Transportation : Round-trip air tickets: Economy class, the most direct andeconomical route between the nearest international airport from the successful applicant’s domicile and Tokyo.
- Start-up Fund upon Arrival : JPY120,000 is provided to cover the initial costs to start a new research stay in Japan.
Applicant of non-Japanese nationality who meets all the following eligibility requirements is invited to submit application documents.
- Applicant must obtain Letter of Invitation from Host Institution in Japan.
- Applicant must hold Ph.D. (Doctoral degree).
- Applicant must be at the age of 49 years old or younger at the time when application documentsare submitted.
- Applicant must have sufficient abilities in the English or Japanese languages.
- Applicant should not have past or current experiences of staying in Japan. (Except for short-term stay such as sightseeing and conferences)
- Applicant must have an occupation in your home county, return there upon completion of yourfellowship tenure and should contribute to development of your country.
- Application documents must be submitted to the following email address : [email protected]
- Documents must be converted to Adobe PDF by item and submitted to MIF by email.
- All the documents must be typed in English and inadequate documents are not subject to screening.
- Application Form : Applicant is required to use the original application form which can be downloaded from MIF’s website. Yo u should ensure that all the items in the form are properly filled out. Yo u r face photograph taken within the past three months must be attached. In case the photograph is more than 1BM in size, it should be resized. The form without your signature and the date is not acceptable.
- The content, purpose and methodology of the research should be stated in your Research Project.
- The road map of the research project should be stated.
- What benefits the research project will bring to your home country should be stated.
- Submit only one significant publication.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) should include the complete list of publications: when and where they were published, co-authors, number of pages, etc.
- Recommendation Letter should be from your current home institution (employer) and written on their letterhead. It should testify to academic ability, achievements and confirming the availability of study leave during your fellowship period.
- In case the soft copies of Academic Certificates/Diplomas for Ph.D, Master, Bachelor are not available in English, please attach English translations and they should be attested by the seal of your current home institution or the university you graduated from.
- Invitation Letter should be from and sighted by your host professor/scholar in charge at the host institution in Japan and written on their letterhead.
- Invitation Letter should confirm the specific period of stay, the research project, the availability of research facilities/equipments, and the arrangement of accommodation facility.
- Name of Host Professor/Scholar (受入教員の氏名) should be mentioned in Japanese.
- Name of Host Institution (受入研究機関名) should be mentioned in Japanese.
- Email Address of Host Professor/Scholar (受入教員のメールアドレス) should be mentioned in Japanese.
- Postal Code, Mailing Address andTEL of Host Institution (受入研究機関の郵便 番号、 住所、電話) should be mentioned in Japanese.
Application Deadline: June 30, 2021 (47 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link