The Beverly Rogers, Carol C. Harter Black Mountain Institute hosts residential fellowships every academic year. Visiting fellows join a community of writers and scholars in a thriving literary scene in Las Vegas and on the campus of UNLV; they are supported by individuals and groups that share the commitment to bringing writers and the literary imagination into the heart of public life. While this fellowship is for emerging and distinguished writers, only candidates who have published at least one book by a trade press are eligible.
While there are no formal teaching requirements, this is a “working fellowship” located in Las Vegas. BMI’s visiting fellows will maintain an in-office presence of 10 hours a week, along with 10 hours of service to the community. In addition to the primary goal of furthering one’s own writing during their term in Las Vegas, visiting fellows are expected to engage in a substantial way with BMI’s community, in ways that connect to their interests and skills. Upon acceptance into the program, each fellow will craft a plan in partnership with BMI. Here are some examples of activities a visiting fellow might pursue:
- Offer readings, craft talks, and other public presentations to the readers and writers of UNLV and Southern Nevada.
- Curate an event or program.
- Contribute original work (i.e. a work of fiction, nonfiction, or poetry) to one of BMI’s publications.
- Provide support to one of BMI’s publications (e.g. judge contests or consult on editorial processes).
- compensation of $20,000 paid over a four-month period.
- a semester-long letter of appointment.
- eligibility for optional health coverage.
- office space in the BMI offices on the campus of UNLV.
- housing (fellows cover some utilities) in a unique and vibrant arts complex in the bustling district of downtown Las Vegas—home to The Writer’s Block, their city’s beloved independent bookstore, and
- recognition at BMI as a “Shearing Fellow.”
- While this fellowship is for emerging and distinguished writers, only candidates who have published at least one book by a trade press are eligible.
- Use this link to apply: https://blackmountaininstitute.submittable.com/login?returnUrl=%2Fsubmit%2F230653%2Fshearing-fellowship-application-20232024-cycle
Application Deadline: November 1, 2022Application ClosedOfficial link