The McGill Library and the McGill School of Information Studies (SIS) are teaming up to provide a fellowship program for Black students to complete the two-year Master of Information Studies (MISt) at McGill. The MISt is the advanced degree required for most professional librarian positions. Two fellowship positions are available.
Fellows will receive a tuition award for two years (4 semesters, not including fees) for the MISt program in SIS beginning in Fall 2023. They will also receive a 15-hour-per-week paid position in the McGill Library during each academic term in an area of professional interest to the Fellow and addressing a need in the McGill Library. The current pay rate for these positions is $21.78 per hour.
Their branches are busier and more central to the student experience than ever. Whether you book a group study room, take out a laptop, or (re)discover your favorite reading nook, take the time to explore the spaces and places that make the Library a “home away from home” for many students.
If you want to take your learning to the next level, their workshops cover information literacy, reference management, scholarly communications, research data management, and more. Visit their Digital Scholarship Hub and Innovation Commons for a wide range of maker-space resources, equipment, software tools, and specialized training sessions.
They also, invite you to take advantage of the rich materials in one of the most unique collections in North America. They offer access to almost 7 million books and journals, over 4.5 million e-books, e-theses, and e-journals, and hundreds of thousands of sound and video recordings, musical scores, microforms, and maps. Start to search for materials needed for your studies in Sofia, their catalog, subject guides, and course reserves & readings. And if they don’t have what you are looking for, they will find it through their Interlibrary Loans service.
- Fellows will receive a tuition award for two years (4 semesters, not including fees) for the MISt program in SIS beginning in Fall 2023.
- They will also receive a 15-hour-per-week paid position in the McGill Library during each academic term in an area of professional interest to the Fellow and addressing a need in the McGill Library.
- The current pay rate for these positions is $21.78 per hour.
- Facilitates excellence in teaching, learning, and research.
- Creates an appropriate environment to support teaching, learning, and research.
- Anticipates and responds to student and faculty needs.
- Contributes to positive student and faculty outcomes and experiences.
- Provides the information resource infrastructure necessary for leading-edge teaching, learning, and research activity.
- Supports community outreach and community partnerships.
- This fellowship is open to Black students who hold a Bachelor’s degree.
- The MISt curriculum is full-time, in person, on the McGill campus in downtown Montreal beginning in the Fall semester of 2023.
In order to be considered for the program, applicants must have submitted their application to SIS and have received an offer of admission to the information studies program
The applicant may apply to the fellowship program before being accepted by SIS. Acceptance into the fellowship program is dependent upon the student enrolling in the McGill Master of Information Studies (MISt) program.
To apply for the Master of Information Studies Fellowship for Black Students, please submit the following to [email protected]:
- Cover letter, including your goals for the program and future plans in the field of library information studies;
- A statement confirming your eligibility for the program according to each of the eligibility criteria above;
- One letter of recommendation from an instructor, supervisor (past or present), or a member of the community;
- A resume/CV is optional, but not required.
The application deadline for the fellowship program is 5:00 PM (EST) on March 31, 2023. All required documents must be received by this time.
Application Deadline: March 31, 2023 (10 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link