The L’Oréal USA For Women in Science fellowship program awards five women postdoctoral scientists annually with grants of $60,000 each for their contributions to Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) fields and commitment to serving as role models for younger generations.
The For Women in Science program was created out of a simple belief: the world needs science, and science needs women because women in science have the power to change the world.
The program is the U.S. component of the L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science International Fellowships program. Celebrating its eighteenth year in the U.S., the For Women in Science program has awarded 90 postdoctoral women scientists over $4 million in grants.
L’Oréal USA partners with the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) to manage the program’s application and peer-review process. Each year, the program attracts talented applicants from diverse STEM fields, representing some of the nation’s leading academic institutions and laboratories.
Since 2003, L’Oréal USA’s FWIS program has supported 95 outstanding female postdoctoral scientists from across the country, awarding them nearly $5 million in grants. L’Oréal USA partners with the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) to manage the program’s application and peer-review process. The program is the U.S. component of the L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science International Awards, a global philanthropy created in 1998 that has recognized and rewarded over 3,900 women scientists from more than 110 countries.
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is the world’s largest general scientific society and publisher of the journal Science, as well as Science Translational Medicine; Science Signaling; a digital, open-access journal, Science Advances; Science Immunology; and Science Robotics. AAAS was founded in 1848 and includes more than 250 affiliated societies and academies of science, serving 10 million individuals. The nonprofit AAAS is open to all and fulfills its mission to “advance science and serve society” through initiatives in science policy, international programs, science education, public engagement, and more. For additional information about AAAS, visit www.aaas.org.
- The award is intended to support the applicant’s research project and provide career advancement.
- Fellowship funds can be used for tuition fees, attendance at meetings and conferences, hiring support staff (including undergraduate and graduate students), laboratory supplies, publication costs, computer and technical support, equipment, and instruments.
- Candidates may request salary support from this fellowship. However, the candidate must include a brief explanation in the provided “Budget Justification” section as to why they are requesting a salary.
- Could be awarded $60,000 for research in a STEM field.
- Must have a conferred Ph.D. and have started in a postdoctoral research position by January 28, 2023
- Must maintain the status of postdoctoral researcher throughout the fellowship year
- Must be American-born, naturalized citizen, or permanent resident
- Must be affiliated with a U.S.-based academic or research institution
- Must plan to conduct their postdoctoral studies and research in the U.S.
- Must be involved in basic research in the life and physical/material sciences, engineering & technology, computer science, and mathematics
- Cannot be in a faculty position
- Must commit to at least twenty hours of activity in support of women and girls in science (e.g. mentoring, classroom visits, media, events)
- Must be available the week of November 13, 2023, for the For Women in Science Awards Week.
Eligible Regions: the United States and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
The Selection Process:
To ensure that the candidates who are selected represent scientific excellence, the program utilizes a two-phased application review process.
- In the first round, applications are evaluated by experienced scientists in the candidates’ respective fields.
- In the second round, a distinguished Jury of eminent scientists evaluates the top-ranked candidates and selects the five winners.
Application Deadline: January 27, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link