Applications for the James Buchanan Fellowship 2024-2025 academic year are open now!
The James Buchanan Fellowship from the Mercatus Centre is a one-year fellowship program that is competitive and given to researchers who have just completed their doctoral studies in any discipline. Encouragement of early-career researchers to critically engage Adam Smith’s political economy and the theories of the Austrian, Virginia, and Bloomington schools of political economics is the goal of this fellowship. James Buchanan Fellows will also learn about current applications of these concepts to social science inquiries concerning the institutional foundations and dynamics of social, political, and economic coordination.
Mercatus Center James Buchanan Fellows are required to:
- Be employed at an academic institution (such as a university and a university-based center) during their participation in the James Buchanan Fellowship Program
- Attend and actively participate in all aspects of the scheduled program of events including meals and organized social activities
- Arrive on time and prepared for each colloquia session having carefully read the assigned reading in advance
- Complete a short evaluation survey following each colloquium
- Complete a fellowship evaluation survey at the end of the fellowship year
- Maintain an up-to-date record with the program of a valid postal address to which packages can be shipped
- Submit an updated curriculum vita on request, quarterly throughout their participation in the program
Mercatus Center James Buchanan Fellows are expected to:
- Coordinate their schedules to arrive in the area hosting the colloquium before 4 pm on the days the colloquia commence, making arrangements with their home institution to cover any teaching assignments that might present scheduling conflicts with travel
- Coordinate their schedules and make appropriate arrangements with appropriate others to cover any teaching assignments and other responsibilities that might present scheduling conflicts
- Observe conventional standards of professional conduct while in attendance at the facilities hosting the program
- Submit expense reimbursements within 15 days of the adjourning session of each colloquium
- Adhere to policies, procedures, and deadlines communicated by Mercatus Center staff related to their participation in the fellowship
Mercatus Center James Buchanan Fellows are encouraged to:
- Build relationships with Mercatus Center faculty
- Build relationships with other program participants
- Become engaged with professional organizations that support the schools of thought covered in the program, as appropriate
The total award of up to $10,000 includes:
- A stipend
- All required reading materials
- Travel and lodging to attend colloquia hosted by the Mercatus Center
Scholars who meet all of the following 4 criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Scholars who have graduated from accredited Ph.D. Programs within the last 5 years of their year of participation in the fellowship program
- Scholars who have academic positions at accredited universities and/or research positions with organizations dedicated to in-depth research in social sciences and other sciences
- Scholars who are able to commit to traveling two weekends and one week for colloquia during the upcoming academic year.
- Scholars who have research and/or teaching interests that would benefit from a greater understanding of key writings in political economy
- Visit the Apply link by clicking on the “APPLY NOW” button.
- Complete and submit the form.
The online application includes:
- A 1-2 page cover letter explaining:
- your graduate school career to date,
- your academic career goals,
- your research interests and current projects,
- your familiarity with the thinkers associated with the Austrian, Virginia, and Bloomington schools of political economy, and
- what you hope to get out of the program.
- A current resume/CV
- A list of recent academic publications, if any
- A few short answer questions
Application Deadline: April 15, 2024 (53 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link