Founded in 2014, the Simons Society of Fellows is a community of scholars that encourages intellectual interactions across disciplines and across research centers in the New York City area.
The IMU – Simons African Fellowship Program is funded by the Simons Foundation, and funds research sabbaticals for mathematicians from African developing countries employed in Africa to travel to an internationally known mathematical center of excellence for collaborative research.
The Simons Foundation is a private foundation based in New York City, integrated in 1994 by Jim and Marilyn Simons. Their mission is to advance the frontiers of research in mathematics and the basic sciences. They sponsor a wide range of programs in the sciences, that include grants programs in mathematics and the physical sciences. The primary focus of the foundation’s Mathematics and Physical Sciences division is the theoretical sciences radiating from mathematics: in particular, the fields of mathematics, theoretical computer science and theoretical physics.
The Fellowship Program will run until 31.08 2022. The program supports research sabbaticals for mathematicians from AFRICAN developing countries employed in AFRICA to travel to an Internationally known mathematical center of excellence/ university (WORLDWIDE) for collaborative research. The program is not for any post graduate courses or post doctoral training but for a limited research period.
- The maximum amount of the grant is USD 5.000.
- All travel and living expenses of the grantees will be covered by the fellowship up to 5,000 USD.
- The applicant has to hold a valid doctoral degree (PhD) in mathematics.
- The Africanapplicant must be based (place of work) in an African developing country for the list of eligible countries please visit the official website.
- Countries whose Gross National Income per Capita (GNI) is less than 11000 USD are classified by IMU as “Developing Country”. For a list please visit the official website.
- The applicant has to be employed as a mathematicianin a faculty of a university or an equivalent higher education institution.
- The applicant should already have established contact with a mathematician in the host institution in mathematical center of excellence worldwideand should have a definite research plan together with the host, which must be submitted along with the curriculum vitae of both mathematicians at the time of applying for this grant. This plan should be approved by the host as well.
- The applicant should have been granted appropriate leave of absencefrom his/her home institution which will cover the period of the visit.
- The application must also be accompanied by aformal letter of invitation from the host institution, which clearly specifies the period of the (short) research visit and the extent of the host institutions financial commitment and support.
- It is expected that the host institution would at least offer office space, free internet access and other basic amenities.
- The host institution also has to help the grantee to find accommodation in the institutions guest house or help to rent a flat. In case no guest house or flat is available, the host institution has to issue a letter that accommodation is only possible in an economic hotel/ apartment hotel with kitchenette.
- The invitation has to be signed by the dean/ head of the faculty of the host institution (not the host).
- The minimal length of a visit that could be favorably considered is one month. There is no maximal length, but it has to be a sabbatical/ research visit not a fellowship position in the host institution (e.g. doing a post-doctoral).
- Apply online through the given link.
- Please fill out and submit the online application form for the IMU-Simons Programs.
- Upload all requested documents (two CVs: of the host and the applicant, detailed Research plan, invitation letter by the host institution, letter by the home institution, tentative budget details in USD) as 1 joint PDf to the Online Application Form.
- A picture of the applicant for their website (uploaded separately to the Online Application Form) (The picture will be published on our website.
Application Deadline: April 15, 2021 (4 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link