The Humboldt Research Fellowship for researchers of all nationalities and research areas: “We support you – postdoctoral and experienced researchers – with your research in Germany”.
Through the Humboldt Research Fellowship, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation sponsors researchers with above-average qualifications from across the globe. A fellow will benefit from individual support from the Humboldt Foundation and their diverse sponsorship portfolio.
The Humboldt Research Fellowship enables a fellow to conduct their own research at various stages of their career in collaboration with a host at a German research institution of their choice. Hosts may apply for a subsidy toward research costs.
Fellows are flexible in determining when they would like to start their fellowship. Prior to their research fellowship, they and their marital partner will be able to attend an intensive language course.
The Selection Committee responsible for reviewing applications to this program meets every March, July, and November. Please send your completed application form, including any additional documents required, well in advance of the desired selection date. Applications are usually processed within four to eight months. Incomplete or inaccurate applications take longer to process and often have to be postponed to a later Selection Committee meeting.
The deadline for meeting certain formal conditions – in particular those relating to limitations on career stages and previous stays in Germany – is the date on which we receive your application.
The assessment is based on the following selection criteria, depending on your career level:
- academic career and academic record to date (mobility, determination, thematic scope, academic productivity)
- quality of the key publications named in the application (originality, innovativeness, evaluation of your own contributions to publications involving several authors)
- originality and innovative potential of your proposed research (significance for the further development of the subject area, convincing selection of scientific methods, potential for scientific development, clear focus and feasibility within the requested sponsorship period, viability at the host institute)
- your future potential (academic potential, personal development, career prospects, e.g. professorial appointment)
- your independent research profile (for experienced researchers)
- The fellowship amount is €3,170. Fellowships may last from 6 to 18 months and can be divided into up to three stays within three years.
- In addition to the fellowship amount, fellows will also receive personal support throughout their sponsorship.
- Further financial support, including family benefits for children and marital partners, subsidies for private full health insurance, and allowances for travel expenses, is also available.
The Humboldt Research Fellowship addresses
- post-doctoral researchers with above-average qualifications from across the globe – regardless of their field.
Please note that you may only submit your application once you have uploaded the following documents in the application form:
- curriculum vitae (two pages max)
- research outline ( five pages max)
- complete list of your publications
- list of selected key publications
- key publications
- doctoral certificate or proof that your doctorate has been completed successfully, or confirmation that this will be the case within the next six months
- German language certificate, if required
- if required: publisher’s acceptance notifications and/or acknowledgment of receipt and summaries/translations of key publications that are not available in German or in English
- In addition: the host’s statement and confirmation that research facilities are available, as well as two expert reviews. Please note that these documents can only be uploaded in a protected area by the host(s) and expert reviewers personally. You can only submit your application once these documents have been uploaded. Further information and explanations can be found on the application form.