Through the Humboldt Research Fellowship, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation sponsors researchers with above-average qualifications from across the globe. As a fellow, you will benefit from individual support from the Humboldt Foundation and diverse sponsorship portfolio. Looking ahead to the upcoming meetings of the selection committee, they expect that 20 – 25% of the applications received will be approved.
The Selection Committee responsible for reviewing applications to this programe meets every March, July and November. Please send your completed application form, including any additional documents required, well in advance of the desired selection date. Applications are usually processed within four to eight months. Incomplete or inaccurate applications take longer to process and often have to be postponed to a later Selection Committee meeting.
The deadline for meeting certain formal conditions – in particular those relating to limitations on career stages and previous stays in Germany – is the date on which we receive your application.
If your application is successful, you may begin your fellowship between two and twelve months after being selected.
If your application is unsuccessful, they may provide you with the reasons for their decision. Please request this information informally by email. You and your host will receive a letter with the outcome of your application approximately five weeks after the decision is made. Decisions cannot be appealed. You can, however, re-apply if you significantly improve crucial aspects of the rejected application. In the case of unanimously rejected applications, you must unfortunately wait a minimum of 18 months before re-applying.
- Postdoc benefit from research sponsorship in Germany at the beginning of your academic career.
- The Humboldt Research Fellowship for postdoctoral researchers enables you to conduct research in Germany.
- The monthly fellowship amount is €2,670. Fellowships may last from 6 to 24 months
- You can still apply for research sponsorship in Germany even if you are already well advanced in your academic career. The Humboldt Research Fellowship for experienced researchers enables you to conduct research in Germany. The fellowship amount is €3,170. Fellowships may last from 6 to 18 months and can be divided into up to three stays within three years.
- In addition to the fellowship amount, you will also receive personal support throughout your sponsorship. You are flexible in determining when you would like to start your fellowship. Prior to your research fellowship, you and your marital partner will be able to attend an intensive language course.
- Further financial support, including family benefits for children and marital partners, subsidies for private full health insurance and allowances for travel expenses, is also available.
Please note that you may only submit your application once you have uploaded the following documents in the application form:
- curriculum vitae (two pages max)
- research outline ( five pages max)
- complete list of your publications
- list of selected key publications
- key publications
- doctoral certificate or proof that your doctorate has been completed successfully, or confirmation that this will be the case within the next six months
German language certificate, if required
- if required: publisher’s acceptance notifications and/or acknowledgement of receipt and summaries/translations of key publications that are not available in German or in English
- In addition: host’s statement and confirmation that research facilities are available, as well as two expert reviews. Please note that these documents can only be uploaded in a protected area by the host(s) and expert reviewers personally. You can only submit your application once these documents have been uploaded.
- Further information and explanations can be found on the application form.
As soon as they have received your online application, they will send you written confirmation by email. After reviewing your documents, they will notify you of the expected selection date.
The Humboldt Research Fellowship addresses post-doctoral researchers with above-average qualifications from across the globe – regardless of their field.
Did you complete your doctorate – or equivalent academic qualification – during the last four years? Or are you within six months of completing your doctorate and can already provide a written summary of your findings? Have you been published in academic journals and by publishing houses that are reviewed according to international standards? If so, and if you fulfil the criteria under the “What is required of you” section, apply for the Humboldt Research Fellowship for postdoctoral researchers
- Experienced researchers
Did you complete your doctorate – or equivalent academic qualification – during the last twelve years? Is your academic profile substantiated by an extensive list of publications in academic journals and by publishing houses that are reviewed according to international standards? If so, and if you fulfil the criteria under the “What is required of you” section, apply for the Humboldt Research Fellowship for experienced researchers.
If a doctorate in your field or country of origin is not possible or uncommon, you can still apply up to 16 years after completing your master’s or other postgraduate degree provided that you have a publication record commensurate with your career level.
You must fulfil the following criteria to successfully apply for the Humboldt Research Fellowship.
You are not a German national. If you are a German national, or if you obtained your university entrance qualification and university degree, or your university degree and your doctorate, in Germany, you can apply if you have lived and worked abroad for more than ten years and intend to continue doing so long-term. Have you lived and worked abroad for more than five years? You can still apply if there is a strong connection to your current country of residence (permanent employment, additional citizenship etc
For your application to be successful, you may not have lived in Germany for longer than a total of six months within the 18-month period prior to submitting your application.
If you have arrived in Germany recently you should submit your application as soon as possible, as we can only assess your eligibility and formally accept your application after it has been submitted.
Confirmation that research facilities are available/host’s statement
A researcher from an academic institution of your choice in Germany will provide you with a mentoring agreement and written confirmation that research facilities are available, and will compile a detailed review for you.
- Expert reviews
You can provide two expert reviews.
Postdocs: Your doctoral supervisor and one other researcher – outside of your institute, if possible – should provide well-grounded information on your qualifications.
Experienced researchers: The reviews should be provided by important collaborative partners and/or researchers at your own institute as well as other institutes – outside your country of origin, if possible.
- Language skills
You must abide by the rules of good scientific practice (PDF) and the principles of scientific ethics.
You may not apply for the Humboldt Research Fellowship if you have already received sponsorship from the Humboldt Foundation. In such cases, our alumni programmes are open to you.
If you would like to apply for the Humboldt Research Fellowship, please submit the necessary documents to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation online only.
Application Deadline: November 30, 2022 (154 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link