Established by the Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong in 2009, the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS) aims at attracting the best and brightest students in the world to pursue their PhD studies in Hong Kong’s universities.
Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme is a fully funded opportunity for students from all over the world to study in the leading universities of Hong Kong. The fully-funded scholarships for international students are available for every individual who is academically brilliant, has a track record of achievements, and exhibits leadership qualities. Anyone around the globe can apply to this PhD fellowship program regardless of the place or country of living or birth and ethnic, religious, or political affinities. Moreover, the Hong Kong fellowships have no restrictions on the prior work experience of the interested fellows.
The Hong Kong PhD scholarship is a scheme that is introduced by the Research Grants Council to attract the brightest minds in the world to continue their PhD in the Hong-Kong universities. The students can apply to those universities which are at the panel of the Research Grants Council. Under this fully-funded fellowship, the students who are talented and have extraordinary potential and skills like communication, research ability, and leadership qualities can apply to top universities in Hong Kong. The 300 PhD fellowships scheme is a platform where the students get a chance to study in the university of their own choice out of eight universities that are on the list of RGC.
Hong Kong fellowship grant provides the PhD students a platform where they can interact with students of different cultures. Moreover, Hong Kong is a city of diversity as is located in the heart of Asia. The PhD fellows of the Research Grants Council will get a chance to dive into the pool of global connectivity, excellence, and quality lifestyle. Furthermore, the quality of education in Hong Kong is one of the finest. Hence, international PhD fellows in the heart of Asia will experience an everlasting educational experience that is beneficial for their personal as well as professional growth and expertise.
The fully-funded doctoral scholarship is a chance for PhD fellows to gain world-class experience in every academic program and research activity in Asia’s World City. The highly competitive fellowship grants 300 scholarships to students from every corner of the world on the basis of their excellent academic records and interpersonal skills. Since 2009 when RGC launched the scholarship scheme, numerous students have got benefits and have participated in the research that has changed the world. The Hong Kong fellows have marked their names in every field whether it is science, medical, engineering, humanities, economics, etc. Thus, this international fellowship program for PhD fellows is a golden opportunity to pursue their higher studies in the best possible ways.
- The Fellowship provides an annual stipend of HK$325,200 (approximately US$41,690)
- A conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$13,600 (approximately US$1,740) per year for each awardee for a period up to three years.
- 300 PhD Fellowships will be awarded in the 2023/24 academic year
- For awardees who need more than three years to complete the PhD degree, additional support may be provided by the chosen universities. For details, please contact the universities concerned directly.
Candidates who are seeking admission as new full time PhD students in the following eight universities, irrespective of their country of origin, prior work experience and ethnic background, should be eligible to apply.
- City University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- Lingnan University
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The Education University of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- The University of Hong Kong
Applicants should demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability / potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.Eligible Regions: Hong Kong, China.
- Eligible candidates should first make an Initial Application online through the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme Electronic System (HKPFSES) to obtain an HKPFS Reference Number for PhD admission to their desired universities.
- Applicants may choose up to two programmes / departments at one or two universities for PhD study under HKPFS 2023/24. They should comply with the admission requirements of their selected universities and programmes.
- As the deadlines for applications to some of the universities may immediately follow that of the Initial Application, candidates should submit initial applications as early as possible to ensure that they have sufficient time to submit applications to universities.
- Step 1: Submit Initial Application to Research Grants Council
- Step 2: Submit Full Applications to Proposed Universities
After completing an initial application, applicants should submit full applications for their selected PhD programmes to the proposed universities quoting their HKPFS Reference Number before universities’ respective deadlines. As regards programme information, requirements for PhD admission, application methods, regulations and policy of individual universities, please refer to individual universities and PhD programmes for information.
Application Deadline: December 1, 2022Application ClosedOfficial link