Lady Julia Lewisohn Henry was part of a wealthy and philanthropic New York Jewish family. In 1892 she married the Australian-born, British politician and philanthropist Sir Charles Henry. Lady Julia was an active campaigner for child welfare and worked tirelessly towards the First World War’s relief effort. In 1916, in memory of her only son Cyril Henry, a soldier who died in Loos in 1915, Lady Julia founded a day and night nursery for the children of female munitions workers during the war.
Following Lady Julia’s death in 1927, the Charles and Julia Henry Fund (the “Henry Fund”) was set up. It is governed by her will, dated 7 February 1927 and was established “in the earnest hope and desire of cementing bonds of friendship” between Britain and the United States of America.
The Henry Fund provides Fellowships for students of British and Irish Universities to attend Harvard or Yale Universities for a year as a Special or Visiting Student and for students of Harvard and Yale to attend Oxford or Cambridge Universities for one year.
Under Lady Julia’s Will, the Fund is administered by 12 trustees, three appointed by each of these universities: Harvard University, Yale University, University of Oxford, University of Cambridge.
- An assured place, as a Special or Visiting Student;
- A maintenance grant – 2021-2022: $34,000 – payable in two instalments (1 September and 1 January);
- Tuition fees for the course of study approved by the Trustees (billed directly to the Fund by Harvard/Yale);
- Student health insurance (billed with the tuition fees as above);
- A grant towards the cost of travel – 2021-2022: £2,500 – paid in GBP to the Fellow before they leave for the US (for transatlantic travel and travel within the US).
- A full-time student at a *British or Irish University who has completed at least two years of full time undergraduate study by 1 January 2022
- A student in the first year of postgraduate study where not more than year has passed from the time of taking their first degree at the *qualifying University
- Must be able to provide evidence of a very high and sustained standard of academic achievement.
- Should be able to provide examples of their leadership skills.
- Before filling up the form, kindly go through “Notes for Candidates” document in the official link.
- Then, complete the online application form.
- After that, send Declaration of Character Form to [email protected]
- Referees will send their reference through email.
- Application Language: English
- Apply online using the Apply Now link.
Application Deadline: January 14, 2022Application ClosedOfficial link