Applications are now open for the Google News Initiative Newsroom Leadership Program 2019 in USA.
The leadership program aims to enhance the leadership skills and nimble decision-making capacity of emerging newsroom leaders in the Asia-Pacific region, with particular focus on applied technology, audience-centric behaviours, design thinking, data applications, understanding business models and editorial innovation.
The program emphasizes:
- Building a practical understanding of how news companies around the world —large and small, legacy and start-up—actually operate as businesses, and how technology has revolutionized what it means to be a news publisher.
- Developing a framework for evaluating the costs and benefits of introducing technology-driven changes into workflows and resourcing, and how to create and manage a plan for change management within the organization.
- Leveraging data and the latest technology to create compelling content and understand audiences, while thinking about publishing “products” when putting together journalism packages.
- Learning how to facilitate design-thinking in newsrooms using Google’s design sprint methodology, which is used to solve problems and develop products, as the initial step for developing their project.
To get more exciting opportunities like this, at your fingertips, install the Youth Opportunities Mobile App here from your cellphone.
Specific topics may include:
- Today’s Media Business: Understanding both traditional and new revenue models
- Leadership in Unstable Times: Techniques for handling disruption and transition, Managing a team with diverse skills
- The Role of Data in the Newsroom and the Board Room
- Design-Thinking and Building News Products
- Power Skills: How to Develop Soft Skills for Effective Leadership
The Google News Initiative is partnering with news industry and journalist organizations around the Asia-Pacific region to shortlist applicant for the leadership program. Their partners are the Walkley Foundation, J-Forum, Journalists Association of Korea, Aliansi Jurnalis Independen and Splice.
- Fellows will gain skills and knowledge to make better strategic decisions for their newsrooms and audiences.
- Each Fellow will also work on a specific project during the year that is relevant to their newsroom within the main fellowship topics: technology, monetization and data.
- The program is free of charge for successful applicants. Travel, lodging, meals and visa fees will also be paid for by the Google News Initiative.
Please visit the official link for eligibilities.Eligible Regions: Asia Pacific Region
The application includes:
- A completed Google Form with personal details
- One professional goals essay
- One letter of recommendation from a current colleague or manager who can speak to the applicant’s current role, professional achievements and capabilities.
- A letter of endorsement from the applicant’s employer, including one signed by at least two members of senior management from different departments (editorial, business, product) in the news organization, attesting to allowing paid leave for the applicant to participate in the four-week on-site components of the program and endorsement of the individual project area/ issue that the applicant will work on for the duration of the fellowship.
- Articulation of the individual project that you want to focus on during the year.
Application Deadline: June 26, 2019Application ClosedOfficial link