The Fulbright-Nehru Academic and Professional Excellence Fellowships aim to provide Indian faculty, researchers, and professionals the opportunity to teach, conduct research, or carry out a combination of teaching and research at a U.S. institution. Depending on the U.S. host institution, it is likely that the grantee may contribute towards developing curriculum and conducting workshops and seminars. These fellowships are for four to nine months. If you are applying for a Flex Award, the minimum length of the total grant is four months and the maximum is six months.
To get more exciting opportunities like this, at your fingertips, install the Youth Opportunities Mobile App here from your cellphone.
Fulbright-Nehru Academic and Professional Excellence Fellowships*: These fellowships, for four to nine months, aim to provide Indian faculty, researchers, and professionals residing in India the opportunity to teach, conduct research, or carry out a combination of teaching and research at a U.S. institution. Applicants can opt for four to six-month Flex Awards in two segments.
*Eligible Fields of Study: Agricultural Sciences; Anthropology; Bioengineering; Computer Science (including, but not limited to, cyber security, digital economy, quantum computing, artificial intelligence, machine learning and big data analytics); Economics; Education Policy and Planning; Energy Studies; History; International Law; International Security and Strategic Studies; Materials Science (with emphasis on environmental applications); Mathematical Sciences; Neurosciences; Performing Arts; Physical Sciences; Public Health; Public Policy; Sociology; Urban and Regional Planning (with emphasis on smart cities and waste management); Visual Arts; and Women’s and Gender Studies. (Note: In addition to above mentioned fields, Climate Change Sciences is offered for Fulbright-Nehru Academic and Professional Excellence Fellowships only.)
Fulbright-Nehru Awards enable the most outstanding students, academics and professionals in India and the U.S. to study, research and teach in the host country.
Indian scholars are selected through a rigorous application and interview process. Once selected, awardees receive support navigating the visa processing and securing health insurance, as well as a comprehensive pre-departure orientation.
The Commission is also the first point of contact for U.S. citizens coming to India on a Fulbright Fellowship. USIEF organizes programs and support throughout the year including an arrival orientation in August and an annual Fulbright Review Conference in March.
The fellowships provide
- A J-1 visa support
- A monthly stipend
- Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges per U.S. Government guidelines
- Round-trip economy class air travel (two round-trip economy class air tickets for Flex)
- A modest settling-in allowance
- A professional allowance.
Subject to availability of funds, in case of grantees on eight or nine-month grants, a dependent allowance and international travel may be provided for one accompanying eligible dependent provided the dependent is with the grantee in the U.S. for at least 80 percent of the grant period. Flex grantees are not eligible for dependent benefits.
In addition to the General Prerequisites (Visit the official website):
- faculty/researchers must have a Ph.D. degree or equivalent published work with at least five years of relevant teaching/research experience;
- professionals outside academe must have a master’s degree or equivalent published work with recognized professional standing and at least five years relevant experience;
- the applicant should upload a recent significant publication (copy of paper/article) in the online application; and
- If the applicant is employed, s/he must follow the instructions carefully regarding Letter of Support from Home Institution. The employer must indicate that leave will be granted for the fellowship period. The applicant must obtain the endorsement from the appropriate administrative authority on the Letter of Support from Home Institution.
- Applications must be submitted online at the Apply Now link.
- Please carefully review the FNAPE Applicant Instructions from the official website before starting your online application
- Please refer to FNAPE Applicant Checklist from the official website before submitting the application.
- In addition, you must complete and upload the following documents on your online application: FNAPE Applicant Annexure
FNAPE Letter of Support from Home Institution (Both the documents are available in the official website)
Application Deadline: July 15, 2019Application ClosedOfficial link