The Finnish National Agency for Education, EDUFI Fellowships programme is open to young Doctoral level students and researchers from all countries and from all academic fields. Master’s level studies or post-doctoral studies/research are not supported in the programme.
The primary target group in the EDUFI Fellowship programme are such Doctoral level students who will be doing their Doctorate (or Double Doctorate) at a Finnish university. Visiting Doctoral-level students and researchers who are doing their Doctorate degree at some foreign university can also be considered eligible, provided that the motivation letter of the hosting Finnish university department presents exceptionally good grounds for such an application.
To get more exciting opportunities like this, at your fingertips, install the Youth Opportunities Mobile App here from your cellphone.
The programme is open for candidates of all foreign nationalities. However, when decisions on scholarship are made, the emphasis is given to applicants from Russia, China, India, Chile, Brazil, and North America. The scholarship period may vary from 3 to 12 months.
NB: the EDUFI Fellowship is a start-up grant rather than a full degree scholarship, so if you, for example, receive an EDUFI Fellowship for 12 months, after that period you should seek other sources for funding for the remaining period of your studies/research. If you are already residing in Finland, please note that the Doctoral students/researchers for whom the Finnish universities can apply for an EDUFI Fellowship should not have resided in Finland for more than one (1) year prior to submitting an EDUFI Fellowship application.
- The grant is 1,500 euro/month.
- The grant is personal and is intended to cover for the subsistence costs of the scholarship holder in Finland.
Two copies of the application with required attachments should be submitted to the following address: Finnish National Agency for Education (EDUFI), P.O. Box 380, 00531 Helsinki. Please mark the envelope with “EDUFI Fellowships”.
The following attachments are required:
- Applicant’s motivation: Take no more than one page to present the motivation for the proposed cooperation, its significance to the host institution, the background for the cooperation and a short description of the research environment. You should also explain the commitment of the host institution to the project and its possible financial support to the scholarship holder, especially if your application is for less than 1,500 euros per month. A preliminary plan for subsequent funding of proposed research will be required in case the application is submitted in order to begin a doctoral dissertation in Finland (or to continue a doctoral dissertation at its early stages).
- The complete CV of the scholarship candidate, which should include, for example, any previous visits to Finland, qualifications (a Master’s degree is a minimum requirement) and publications.
- Research plan (3 to 5 pages, including an introduction, objectives, work plan/work methods, expected results and their possible applicants, as well as the most relevant references. If the proposal is part of a larger project, the candidate’s role should be described in the research plan).
A detailed set of guidelines for an EDUFI Fellowship application is provided (in English) alongside the downloadable application form in the website.Eligible Regions: Open for All
- The prerequisite for applying is that the visiting researcher must have established contacts with a Finnish host university. You are also advised to visit the Finnish universities’ own websites for detailed information on the Doctoral level study and research options the universities offer.
- If a Finnish university is willing to host you, then the Finnish university department wishing to host you can apply for the EDUFI Fellowship on your behalf. That is, only the hosting Finnish university can act as an ‘applicant’ in the EDUFI Fellowship programme.
- The application form for the EDUFI Fellowship can be downloaded from the website.
- There are no annual application deadlines in the EDUFI Fellowship programme.
- Applications may be considered at all times. However, applications should be submitted at least 5 months before the intended scholarship period. Decisions will be made within approximately 3 months after receipt of application.