In the framework of its Mediterranean program, Iméra, the Institut for Advanced Study (IAS) of Aix-Marseille University, and Edinburgh University’s Alwaleed Centre for the Study of Islam in the Contemporary World are starting a fellowship program entitled: Muslim Solidarities in the Face of crises in the Mediterranean.
The research project led by Professor Frédéric Volpi (University of Edinburgh) Senior Fellow at Iméra 2021-24, proposes to study how mechanisms of solidarity are set up, operate, and transform contemporary Mediterranean identities in crisis situations. More specifically, it researches and analyzes the role of Muslim solidarities in the evolution of forms of Mediterranean civility and citizenship.
Axis 1: Evaluation of the speeches and official positions of civil society organizations (Islamic and non-Islamic in orientation) on both shores of the Mediterranean which are facing a crisis situation generating the displacement of people. Assessment of the actions of these organizations and the interactions with people on the move, other organizations, and public actors. (In particular the exchanges between different types of actors and the consequences for the people targeted by these actions and for the organizations themselves.)
Axis 2: Analysis of the evolution of ideas and practices of civility and citizenship around the Mediterranean. The research sheds light on the relationship between state policies on the one hand and the integration (or exclusion) of the actions and discourses of civil society actors previously studied on the other, through the prism of public debate. as well as that of different categories of people on the move.
The ‘Muslim Solidarity’ resident will contribute to the research project led by Professor Frédéric Volpi and will, in particular, lead a reflection and fieldwork on one of the themes of the ‘Muslim solidarity in the face of crises in the Mediterranean’ project. In this context, he will also be an Associate Fellow of the Alwaleed Center at the University of Edinburgh.
The research work falls within the framework of the priorities of the Mediterranean program of IMéRA and in particular of its research axis on Mediterranean Islam.
The purpose of the residency period at Imera is to produce from this research work the foundations of a base of observations and data contributing to the deepening of the project and the elucidation of the questions it raises. In particular, one of the objectives of the residency will be the co-production with the project director of scientific work such as articles, chapters, etc. at the end of the residency period. Other possible activities include the organization of a workshop or a seminar, in Marseilles and/or Edinburgh, and the collaboration in a collective work.
- An allowance (under an allocation agreement) or a net salary (under a fixed-term contract) of 2,000 euros per month. (Depending on their statutory position)
- Furnished and equipped accommodation in a town near its site. (if necessary)
- An office and a computer on the premises of Iméra with access to common equipment (printer, landline telephone),
- Access to databases of the AMU electronic library and
- Assistance with administrative procedures.
- Must demonstrate competence and scientific excellence in the required field;
- Must hold a doctorate or Ph.D.;
- Must be a junior researcher, with postdoctoral experience in full-time research of between 2 and 9 years;
- Must not have resided in France for more than 12 months in the three years preceding the call for applications;
- Must be able to understand both languages orally and in writing (passive knowledge) and master at least one orally and in writing (active knowledge).
- Candidates, who are former residents of Iméra, can submit a new application at least 5 years after their first research stay.
- The application form must be sent exclusively by email to Constance Moréteau, academic coordinator at Iméra: [email protected] with all the required documents. (The application form and the list of the required documents are available at the apply link.)
Application Deadline: July 17, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link