Climate change impact is ravaging the world. In Nigeria, severe cases of drought and desertification are ravaging parts of the north leading to conflicts from lack of water. Agricultural yields have been heavily affected causing high poverty rate. Extreme flooding, disease spread through contaminated water is reported in the south. The time is now to invest into a new generation of young leaders to lead change for climate action.
The Climate Leadership Fellowship initiated by Climate Smart Nigeria in partnership with Glow initiative for Economic Empowerment with support from Access Bank PLC is designed to provide expert training on climate change advocacy and leadership to a new crop of young Nigerian leaders to build national climate resilience. The 10-week program will welcome and empower 30 leaders with expert training to lead change for climate action, in turn, the fellows will adopt schools and teach climate change across Nigeria and implement a climate data policy in their community and on social media. All fellows will receive a climate education toolkit and a certificate of climate leadership.
- In a year the CLF will train 20000 students in secondary schools and mentor 200 climate educators.
- We estimate to train 140, 000 students as climate champions and 1, 400 climate educators in the next seven years.
- This program includes two week intensive expert training on climate change for all select fellows
- All fellows who complete the intensive training will receive the climate education toolkit
- Afterwards, fellows will Adopt a School where they will teach climate change
- Fellows will implement a climate data policy in the schools and communities where they will work and on social media
- Fellows will be trained on how to teach using the provided resource
- Fellows will teach climate Change using the toolkit in select schools for a four week period
- Fellows will create climate change leadership clubs in the schools where they will work
- Fellows are encouraged to demonstrate innovation in the school, community where they will work by carrying out small climate change project to drive home their teaching including implementing the climate data policy
- Two outstanding fellows who demonstrate innovation in Adopt a school shall win NGN 50,000 each
- Top 5 fellows will win the Climate Champion Award
Participants are expected to:
- Commit 5 hours per week to the expert training and LIVE calls
- Adopt a school and complete the four-week program teaching climate change in schools
- Demonstrate innovation during the Adopt a School
- Receive expert training from globally renowned climate activists
- Be trained as a climate change educator
- Receive a Climate Change Education toolkit to teach in secondary schools
- Trained on how to implement a climate data policy
- Join the climate soldier movement
- Be inducted into the School of Climate Action
- Gain access to free trainings and up skilling programs
- Gain work experience in the area of climate leadership
- Gain recommendations for fellowships or international trainings
- Receive a Climate Leadership Certificate
- Youth aged (22 – 35)
- Graduated from University
- Its OK if you’re not a part of an organization
- Demonstrated leadership for climate change and renewable energy
- Passion to promote awareness for climate change
- Selected applicants should be available and willing to teach climate change within their communities using provided toolkit, participate in the climate leadership expert training, submit a fellowship workplan and be available for all virtual meetings.
- Part of a growing environmental/renewable energy organization or involved/interested in a renewable energy business (serving Corp members with interest in renewable energy can apply)
- From any part of the world but resident in Nigeria
Eligible Regions: open for all resident in Nigeria