The Reuters Institute is seeking applications for Google Digital News Journalist Fellowships as part of its world renowned Journalist Fellowship Programme based at the Reuters Institute in Oxford. There are two fellowships available for two terms (6 months) starting in either October 2017 or January 2018 and they are aimed at mid-career journalists resident in one of the countries which will be covered in the 2018 Reuters Institute Digital News Report.
The fellowships will appeal to journalists who are interested in the opportunity of producing a research paper based on some aspect of either the Digital News Report survey data or digital journalism in their country more generally with a direct focus on the professional and industry implications based on their own experience.
- Open to ambitious, high-achieving journalist with a minimum of five years’ experience and a high level of written and spoken English;
- They should be resident in one of the following countries – Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Chile, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Italy, Ireland, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan and Turkey.
- You will join a diverse pool of individuals from around the world including journalists, editors, broadcasters, columnists and freelancers;
- Applicant must have a demonstrable desire to focus on a piece of research which you will work on producing during your time at the Reuters Institute. Priority will be given to those proposing research which fits within the Reuters Institute’s key focus areas.
Applications will be assessed on the basis of three main criteria:
- The quality of the professional achievements of the journalist given the stage in their career;
- Their potential and interest in being part of an international programme and of contributing to and making best use of the opportunity presented by the fellowship;
- The quality of their detailed research proposal and their proposed ideas on how they might promote their findings for the benefit of their colleagues and the industry more generally.
- Complete the online application form, remembering to attach all the required application materials;
- Check which application materials you need to prepare;
- Write the required research proposal and personal statement;
- Choose your work samples;
- Ask 2 people to write letters of recommendation.