The United Nations University (UNU-WIDER) UN Visiting PhD Fellowship Programme is inviting doctoral students around the world to apply for a funded opportunity to utilize the resources and facilities at UNU-WIDER for their Ph.D. dissertation or thesis research and to work with UNU-WIDER researchers in areas of mutual interest.
PhD fellows typically spend 3 consecutive months at UNU-WIDER and are expected to return to their home institution afterward. During their time in Helsinki, Ph.D. interns prepare one or more research papers and present a seminar on their research findings. Ph.D. interns may also have the opportunity to publish their research in the WIDER Working Paper Series. The research proposal by the applicants should contain the following sections.
- Title of research
- General description of proposed research (max. 500 words)
- Description of main research questions or hypotheses (max. 300 words)
- Description of the methods or approaches to be used to answer research questions (max. 500 words)
- Description of main data and information sources (max. 300 words)
- Explanation on how the proposed research relates to Ph.D. thesis or dissertation (max 200 words)
- Explanation on how the Visiting Fellowship at UNU-WIDER could contribute to the applicant’s research (max. 200 words)
UNU-WIDER only receives online applications for the Visiting PhD Fellowship Programme twice each year. When applying in March, the person would be visiting UNU-WIDER for three months during September-November of the same year and when applying in September, the person would be visiting UNU-WIDER for three months in the period of March-June of the following year.
The Visiting PhD Fellowship Programme is highly competitive and only a limited number of fellows can be accepted. In recent years, one percent of all applications have been successful. Selected applicants will be informed by email of the final decision within four weeks of the closing deadline. The selected applicants must confirm their decision to take up UNU-WIDER’s offer two weeks after being contacted.
Selected candidates will be provided with the following benefits:
- Travel Grant (from and to the location)
- Medical insurance
- Monthly stipend: EUR 1,600
The applicants are required to meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Applicants have to be currently enrolled in a Ph.D. program
- Applicants must have demonstrated the ability to conduct research on developing economies
- Fluency in oral and written English is necessary
- Good quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills
- Candidates working in developing countries and those who are at later stages of the Ph.D. will be preferred
- Apply online through the given link.
- The following documents will be required at the time of application-
- Research proposal
- Curriculum vitae
- A letter of reference, emailed (by the applicant’s supervisor) to the following address: [email protected]
Application Deadline: March 31, 2020Application ClosedOfficial link