The Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA), in line with its mission of contributing to the development of Africa through the drive of its women, is launching the 7th Edition of SCIENCE BY WOMEN programme, with the aim to promote African women’s leadership in scientific research and technology transfer and to foster the capacity of the research centres in their home countries. The main goal is to enable African women researchers and scientists to tackle the great challenges faced by Africa through research in health and biomedicine, sustainable agriculture and food security, water, energy and climate change.
Considering the exceptional challenge of the Covid-19 pandemic, some of the fellowships are focused on the research and innovation carried out by African women scientists from diverse and interdisciplinary approaches.
Women’s lives are significantly affected by the repercussions of uncontrolled development; however, social, structural and economic barriers limit their capacity to tackle the great challenges faced by the continent. The gender disparities in science and technology in both the public and private spheres affect Africa’s population as a whole. Narrowing this gap, which has severe consequences on the balanced and sustainable development of African countries, is vital to achieve long-term progress and equal growth.
The programmes ultimate goal is to enable African women researchers to play a leading role in the transition of Africa to a knowledge-based and innovation-led economy through research that can be transferred into products, processes, services and technologies having an impact on people´s lives.
To achieve this ambitious goal, FMxA collaborates with the Spanish Centres of Excellence, whose prestige is unanimously recognized throughout Spain and internationally, thereby ensuring excellence in scientific research in various fields.
Each of the centres will host 1 senior woman researcher with at least 3 years of post-doctoral experience for a six-month fellowship. Applications will be subjected to a rigorous selection process, evaluating the academic merits and leadership of the applicants as well as the scientific quality and expected impact of their research projects. Selected candidates will receive training and integration in a dynamic, multidisciplinary and highly competitive working team, where they will be able to develop their research projects and acquire complementary skills, empowering them to transfer their research results into tangible economic and social benefits.
- The programme´s ultimate goal is to enable African women researchers to play a leading role in the transition of Africa to a knowledge-based and innovation-led economy through research that can be transferred into products, processes, services and technologies having an impact on people´s lives.
- Return flight from their centre of origin to the host institution
- Living allowance of 2.400 Euros gross per month to cover accommodation, personal expense and health and occupational accident insurance coverage. Some centers apply different conditions
- Being a woman
- Nationality of an African country.
- PhD with at least 3 years of post–doctoral professional experience
- Contractual relationship with a university or a public or private organization based in Africa dedicated to significant scientific research in the areas indicated
- Excellent academicrecord and proven track of relevant research experience
- Solid working knowledge of English
- Proven experience leading a research groupBeneficiaries of previous editionsare not eligible.
- Candidates must have already identified the principal Investigador in the prospective host centre to confirm that the researchproposalcan be carried out in collaboration with those research groups andtheir laboratories.
- Apply online through the Apply Now Link
- Read through the Rules and Guidelines section provided in the official website.
- Applications must be in English
- Letter of Interest (max. 1 page)
- Full curriculum vitae(Europass format is recommended)
- Fully filled form
- Passport or NID
- PhD Diploma
- Research proposal (Briefand clear description of the project to be developed in the Spanish host centre (max. 2 pages).
Application Deadline: October 30, 2021 (13 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link