Call for TechGirls International Exchange Program 2024 applications are now open!
TechGirls is an international summer exchange programme based in the United States that provides practical skill development training to enable and encourage young women (ages 15–17) from the United States and a few other countries to pursue higher education and careers in STEM fields.
With a seven-month mentoring programme (including pre- and post-exchange), the programme will assist 111 young women from 37 participating countries/territories and 13+ U.S. peers in 2024 during a dynamic four-week U.S.-based experience. TechGirls has supervised and trained 653 teenage girls since 2012. The TechGirls program’s initial concentration was on Middle Eastern and North African nations. A gifted group of young women with an interest in STEM from the United States and a few other countries in each of the six regions of the world—the Western Hemisphere, Sub-Saharan Africa, Europe and Eurasia, East Asia Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, and South and Central Asia—were involved in the TechGirls programme when it expanded internationally in the summer of 2022.
The TechGirls programme is around a 24-hour immersion in the United States. TechGirls are supervised 24 hours a day. An environment is created to address problems and concerns swiftly. Staff assist youths with cultural adjustments, mentor and counsel as needed. Staff are First Aid and CPR certified to speedily address any health care needs. Participants take part in an interactive tech camp offered in collaboration with Virginia Tech, which offers a thorough look at cutting-edge technologies and a variety of career and educational options in STEM sectors. After that, TechGirls go on a city tour in the United States (to cities like Austin, Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, Detroit, or Seattle) to engage in community service and learn about STEM careers. With seven months of mentorship, TechGirls participants perform community-based projects back home, creating a multiplier effect.
Youth Opportunities invites you to join your preferred channel to get the latest updates directly to your messenger inbox.
1. Youth Opportunities: https://m.me/j/AbZTmgEzD1UchDte/
2. Fully Funded Conferences: https://m.me/j/AbZTfhFTiPCnXf2D/
3. Full Scholarships: https://m.me/j/AbbrjbkOMM6I68Cs/
4. Paid Internships/Jobs: https://m.me/j/AbaAskb6jFFnRser/
5. Circle: https://m.me/j/AbY0vVKSPJULUnE4/
The TechGirls program covers the following costs:
- Visa fee for international participants
- Roundtrip international airfare from participant home country to the United States
- Roundtrip domestic airfare from participant home city (as applicable)
- Housing during program
- Double occupancy dormitory accommodations at Virginia Tech
- Double occupancy accommodations at hotel in Washington, D.C.
- Meals during program
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Local transportation to group program events
- Cultural events organised by Legacy International
- Emergency health insurance
- Are citizens of one of the eligible countries/territories AND living in that country/territory at time of exchange: Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, Zambia, Cambodia, Fiji, Indonesia, Mongolia, Taiwan, Vietnam, Albania, Cyprus, Greece, Kosovo, Montenegro Türkiye, Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, Tunisia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Brazil, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Panama, Peru, Suriname and United States of America.
- Are between the ages of 15 and 17 at the start of the exchange on July 13, 2024
- Born on or between July 13, 2006 and July 13, 2009;
- Have demonstrated advanced skills and a serious interest in science, technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies;
- Intend to pursue higher education and/or careers in STEM, especially technology;
- Have strong English language skills (advanced intermediate English skills);
- Exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness;
- Will attend at least one additional semester of secondary school upon their return to their home country;
- Are committed to completing a community-based project upon their return home; and
- Meet U.S. J-1 visa eligibility requirements (for instance, U.S. citizens are not eligible for a J-1 visa).
- Eligible candidates must be citizens and current residents of participating countries. Third-country nationals permanently living in an eligible country should contact us to determine eligibility prior to applying.
- Preference will be given to those who have limited or no prior experience in the United States. You are not eligible if you have travelled to the United States in the last three years as part of any other ECA exchange program.
- Family members of U.S. Embassy or Consulate staff. U.S. Department of State employees, family members of the administering organisation or partner organisations are not eligible to apply.
- Go to the “Apply Link”
- Create an account for new application
- Complete all answers in English.
- For essay questions, TechGirls recommend you write them in a Word Document first, and then paste them into the online form.
- For uploads:
- For Portrait: Please upload a photo/headshot of yourself that is clear and without filters.
- For Transcript: Please upload your most recent academic transcript (a copy of your grades provided by your school). TechGirls accept transcripts in your native language. It does NOT need to be in English.
- You can save your progress and return to the form by clicking the Save & Return button located at the top and bottom right side of the application. You can save progress as much as you wish until you are ready for final submission.
Application Deadline: December 8, 2023 (6 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link