EMIS is an international high school in Israel for students from all over the world who live and study together. Their student body comprises students from the Eastern Mediterranean and the Middle Eastern regions, along with students from around the globe. Their academic curriculum follows the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme. The social and educational EMIS experience teaches diversity, dialogue, and the value of peace. EMIS also teaches respect for the environment and promotes sustainability as a way of life.
Mission: Use education as a force for peace and sustainability in the Middle East.
- Students may choose or combine two available tracks: the one-year Pre-DB and the two-year International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (10th-12th grade).
- Students come from different backgrounds: 20% are from Israel, 20% are from Palestine and Arab countries, and 60% are from 50+ other countries around the world.
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Admission is based on merit. Partial scholarships are available and granted on a sliding scale. They are entirely based on financial need and can go up to 75%.
They offer many extracurricular programs related to social activism, environmental action, entrepreneurship, and peace-building, aligning with their mission and academic curriculum.
The Pre-IB program at EMIS is a one-year program for students in grade 10 who aspire to join the IB Diploma Program in years 11 and 12. It is a skill-based program that develops a variety of approaches to learning for each student such as thinking, communication, self-management, research, and social skills.
Each course teaches key concepts and provides experiential learning opportunities for each learner. Experienced IB teachers design each course and use a personalized approach to help support a growth mindset and develop self-efficacy in each student. All subjects are taught in English, and students are encouraged to develop their English language proficiency with an individualized approach.
At EMIS The International Baccalaureate Program (IB) (www.ibo.org) is taught in English. EMIS is an authorized IB World School. These schools share a common philosophy; a commitment to high-quality, challenging, international education that EMIS believes is important for our students. They have developed, in partnership with Tel Aviv University and the renowned Israeli high-tech industry, a unique extracurricular program to provide all students with entrepreneurial skills.
Additionally, all students create or join an entrepreneurial project, whether it be individually or in a group, with a focus on social, business, or both, to be completed throughout the two-year course. They believe in providing students with the education and tools that will enable them to make their dreams a reality in any area they choose; be it the arts, science, business, or social change. Environmental studies are a dominant field of our education with special emphasis on learning about the deserts and arid zones prevalent in our region. The region’s rich history that dates back to the beginning of civilization sets the base for history and religious and language studies. Community service is also an integral part of life on campus and aims to merge the students with local communities in neighboring Israeli and Palestinian communities.
For more details, visit the official website.
Applicants interested in starting September 2023 should be:
- Born in years 2006 or 2007, currently in 10th or 11th grade for IB program, or 2008, 9th grade for Pre-IB program, upon application. Must be 15, 16, or 17 years old during 2023.
- Very good students able to be independent learners and thinkers and study the high-level English academic material associated with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma (ibo.org)
- Well-versed in written and spoken English
- Significantly involved in community and leadership activities
- Curious and excited about learning in a different environment; open to new experiences, cultures, and people, able to practice tolerance through living and sharing with peers from different cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Please note that you will need to provide the following documents in order to complete the registration:
- A legible photocopy of your passport (or any other ID card)
- A legible photocopy of both parents’ passports (or any other ID card)
- 2 recommendation letters by 2 academic teachers (They should have known the applicant for more than a year). (you will provide only their contact information – they will contact them directly).
- A report card or transcript from the previous academic year
- A current mid-year report card or transcript by February 2022 (if not in English, an English translation must be provided – you can translate).
1 school evaluation form to be completed by your school counselor, principal, or vice-principal (you will provide only their contact information – they will contact them directly).
- Your vaccination report
- A health form signed by your doctor
- Parents form – a general background questionnaire
- Parents’ declaration – signed by both parents or guardians
- A (non-refundable) registration fee of $50 (175NIS) paid by PayPal or bank transfer.
Everything you need to apply is online on their website, https://em-is.org/admissions/, and their application portal, https://emis.openapply.com.
The application process:
- Step 1: Complete the registration form. Answer the questions, choose the level of scholarship required, and submit supporting documents (see document details in the Apply Now link).
- Step 2: Online interview. You will receive an invitation to an online interview with their admissions team.
- Step 3: Additional online interview with the school counselor – for applicants who passed the first interview.
- Step 4: Application and scholarship review by the admissions committee. The final decision will be communicated via email.
Application Deadline: May 1, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link