Model ASEM is the first-hand introduction to the exciting world of diplomacy, negotiation and international relations. Being a simulation of the ASEM Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (ASEMFMM), at the Model ASEM the candidates will have the chance to step into the shoes of ASEM Foreign Ministers and along with other students, debate and exchange perspectives on current political and bi-regional issues.
The 9th Model ASEM is accessible to all ASEM youth. The Model ASEM series organised by ASEF is unique as it takes place in conjunction with official ASEMFMMs and hence provides participants with a golden opportunity to personally interact with ASEM Foreign Minister and government officials.
To get more exciting opportunities like this, at your fingertips, install the Youth Opportunities Mobile App here from your cellphone.
The 9th Model ASEM will consist of 3 phases:
- Phase 1: Online Preparatory phase (6 weeks) – attend online crash courses on policy making, webinars on Asia-Europe relations and complete individual and group tasks and research.
- Phase 2: Model ASEM Simulation in Madrid, Spain (5 days) – consists of plenary sessions and thematic working groups with a focus on the key topics also discussed by the ASEM Foreign Ministers at the ASEMFMM14
- Phase 3: 14th ASEM Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (ASEMFMM14) – attend parts of the official ASEMFMM14 program and to interact with respective Foreign Ministers and government officials and/or of other ASEM countries.
What can be expected from the program:
- Opportunity to interact with ASEM Foreign Ministers and Officials – Participants have the rare chance to meet and interact with ASEM Foreign Ministers and Delegation members as well as with representatives of ASEM Diplomatic Missions and International Organisations.
- Diplomacy skills-training – The renowned think-tank partners of the program and experienced alumni will train participants to master the skills of public speaking, negotiation, team-work, problem solving, policy, advocacy and consensus-building.
- Contribute to the ASEM Process – The outcomes of the 9th Model ASEM contribute to the ASEM process and highlight the important role youth plays in the political dialogue between Asia and Europe.
- There is no participation or registration fee for the event.
- Participants will be provided with travel subsidies, accommodation and meals.
Candidates are to meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Citizens of any of the 51 Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) Partner countries
- Students from all levels (undergraduate, graduate, etc.) and all disciplines, between the ages of 18-30
- Strong verbal and written command of English
Apply online through the given link.
Application Deadline: August 12, 2019Application ClosedOfficial link