Yayasan Sukarelawan Siswa (YSS) / Student Volunteers Foundation is wholly owned by the Ministry of Education Malaysia. It is established in 2012 with the aim to inculcate the spirit of volunteerism and camaraderie among the students of tertiary education and to produce global students volunteer icons.
The mission scheduled from 15th August – 3rd September for three weeks, will bring together Student Volunteers from all 10 ASEAN Member States and China. Selected Student Volunteers will be staying in Sarawak, Malaysia located in the northwest Borneo for two weeks. Generally, they will be going over a structured process of YSS Volunteer Mission.
It started with a Pre-Departure Training in Kuala Lumpur for three days. After they completed the training, the Student Volunteers will be deployed to Sarawak for two weeks. The mission will be completed after the students fulfilled their three days Post Mission where they have to present and defend their projects on the ground.
What will the Student Volunteers do in Sarawak?
The Student Volunteers will be assigned in 10 different locations in the interiors of Sarawak in the District of Miri and Mukah.
Their volunteer projects will be based on YSS 6 Volunteerism Cluster;
- Education Cluster
- Community Development Cluster
- Medical and Health Cluster
- Agribio and Environmental Cluster
- Information Technology and Social Entrepreneurship Cluster
- Crisis and Disaster Management Cluster
- The YSS-ASEAN Students Volunteer Mission to Sarawak, Malaysia scheduled in August 2019 for three weeks, will bring together all ten ASEAN members and China in enhancing the people-to-people interaction, mobility and strengthen linkages within ASEAN.
- Provide capacity building training for ASEAN + China Student Volunteers especially in developing valuable skills such as teamwork, leadership, project planning, time management, disaster and crisis management skills, improving their adaptability level, soft skills and proactivity to become a role model to other students as well as to society and to produce Icon Volunteers or Global Volunteer Leaders.
- This volunteer mission engages ASEAN member nations and China in sharing the core values of the ASEAN community.
- YSS focuses on the capacity building where ASEAN+China student volunteers are trained physically and mentally through the implementation of concepts of “immersion” where they eat, live and breathe with the community; “the right volunteers for the right job” and “inclusiveness”.
- Opportunity to attend YSS extensive leadership training programme, YSS-ASEAN Volunteer Leadership Programme in December 2019.
The students must be from higher learning institutions, in various fields of study and background. Further criteria are as follows:
- Must be minimum of 18 years old.
- Must be undergraduate, full-time students of higher learning institutions.
- Must be active in volunteer work on campus or in the community.
- Must be fit to participate in the mission.
- Must be a non-smoker and non-vape smoker.
- Must be free from any criminal record or any disciplinary offences.
- Must possess basic knowledge of ASEAN.
- Must be able to converse in English.
- Download the application form from the given link.
- After filling up the form, send the application form together with the required documents to [email protected] before the due date, 18th July 2019 12 a.m. (GMT+8)
- Successful applicants will be notified by email before 31st July 2019.
Application Deadline: July 18, 2019Application ClosedOfficial link