Applications are now open for the Council of Europe World Forum for Democracy 2019.
The World Forum for Democracy is a unique platform for political decision-makers and activists to debate solutions to key challenges for democracies worldwide. By identifying and analyzing experimental initiatives and practices, the Forum highlights and encourages democracy innovations at the grassroots and their transfer on a systemic level in order to strengthen the foundations of democratic societies. The Forum thus contributes to the evolution of democracy towards more participatory and inclusive structures and institutions.
To get more exciting opportunities like this, at your fingertips, install the Youth Opportunities Mobile App here from your cellphone.
“Democracy and information” is the theme of the World Forum for Democracy in 2019 with two main threads:
- Democracy dies in darkness: are we getting the information we need?
- Information and the Future: lost in space or masters of our own fate?
The questions we must address in 2019 are to what extent the information is reliable, whether this helps or hinders citizens in taking part in democratic processes, and what lessons we should learn for ensuring the free flow of information in the future.
The core content of the Forum will consist of discussions about successful initiatives and actions, which have real-life initiatives as a starting point. General guiding principles will then be drawn to encourage and support future policy responses and field action.
In this context, the Youth Department of the Council of Europe will invite 50-60 young people to participate and engage with decision-makers and opinion-formers in a reflection on the question of Democracy and Information.
- Travel expenses and visa costs will be reimbursed upon presentation of the relevant receipts, according to the rules of the Council of Europe.
- Board and lodging are provided and paid for by the Council of Europe (arrival on Sunday, November 3, 2019 and departure on Saturday, November 9, 2019).
*Please check the official link for more details.
- Be aged 18-30 (exceptions can be made in special cases).
- Be able to communicate and work in English.
- Be actively involved in civil society democracy initiatives.
- Be motivated to contribute to developing new ideas on youth and democracy.
- Be ready to share own challenges faced in relation to media, fake news, information and its effects on democracy.
- Be ready to adopt a solution-oriented approach by bringing in new ideas and visions on the question of media, fake news, information and democracy.
- Be available to participate fully in the World Forum for Democracy and the preparation process beforehand.
- A few limited places will allow for participants from the previous editions of the World Forum to participate.
- Apply online through the given link.
- A short 1-minute video should be posted on YouTube, with the link attached to the online application form (please see instructions on the official link).
- The application form must be submitted on-line before Friday, July 12, 2019 UTC 12:00 PM, together with a support letter from your NGO/sending organization if this is appropriate.
Application Deadline: July 12, 2019Application ClosedOfficial link