The United Nations General Assembly designated every 31st October as World Cities Day. World Cities Day promotes sustainable, inclusive urbanization around the world and engenders international cooperation to address the challenges of urbanization. Urbanization is happening at a phenomenal rate. Half the world’s population now live in cities, and this is projected to increase to two-thirds by 2050.
This year, the global observation of World Cities Day will be hosted by Ekaterinburg, in the Russian Federation. The theme is “Changing the world: innovations and better life for future generations”.
The celebration of World Cities Day 2019 will be supported by UN-Habitat, Ministry of Construction Industry, Housing of the Russian Federation, the administration of the Sverdlovsk region and the City of Ekaterinburg.
October 30 in the framework of the global observance of the World Cities Day, the National Youth Council of Russia and UN-Habitat will co-organize a youth event «Generation 2030: Implementing the Urban Dimensions of SDGs».
It is expected that the youth event will be attended by more than 100 young people from different regions of Russia and other countries: 17 SDG Youth Ambassadors in Russia, representatives of youth public associations, young architects and urbanists, young mayors, deputies and other representatives of active youth. The keynote address will be delivered by Ms. Maimunah Binti Mohd Sharif, Executive Director of UN-Habitat.
Young people selected to participate in the youth platform will also be able to participate in the main program of World Cities Day on October 30-31, 2019.
- Young people selected to participate in the youth platform will also be able to participate in the main program of World Cities Day on October 30-31, 2019!
- Selected participants will need to fund their own participation, including transport to Ekaterinburg, accommodation and local transfers.
- 18-35 y.o.
- representatives of youth NGOs
- young architects and urbanists
- young mayors, deputies
- students and other representatives of active youth, who are working with urban development and SDGs
Apply online through the given link.
Application Deadline: October 10, 2019Application ClosedOfficial link