The sixth edition of the Council of Europe’s World Forum for Democracy will engage with decision-makers, young people and opinion-formers to review novel initiatives and approaches which can enhance democratic practices and help parties and media, but also other political actors, to re-connect to citizens, make informed choices and function optimally in 21st century democracy.
The core content of the Forum will consist of discussions about successful initiatives and actions, which have real-life initiatives as a starting point. General guiding principles will then be drawn to encourage and support future policy responses and field action. The draft concept note about the 2017 edition of the World Forum for Democracy can be found here.
In this context, the Youth Department will invite 60 young people to participate and engage with decision-makers and opinion-formers in a reflection on the question of populism: its various forms as well as real stories.
In this edition of the World Forum for Democracy, we wish to invite young people who have been involved either through youth organisations, political parties, political movements or other projects in initiatives related to the question of populism.
- Travel expenses and visa costs will be reimbursed upon presentation of the relevant.
receipts, according to the rules of the Council of Europe.
- Board and lodging are provided and paid for by the Council of Europe (arrival on Sunday 5th November and departure on Saturday 11th November).
- Be aged 16-30 (exceptions can be made in special cases);
- Be resident in Europe; 15 places will be made available for participants from other regions outside the European continent;
- Be able to communicate and work in English;
- Be actively involved in civil society democracy initiatives;
- Be motivated to contribute to developing new ideas on youth and democracy;
- Be ready to share own challenges faced in relation to populism and its effects on society;
- Be ready to adopt a solution-oriented approach by bringing in new ideas and visions on the question of populism;
- Be available to participate fully in the World Forum for Democracy and the
preparation process beforehand.
All candidates must apply in 2 parts:
1. An online application form should be completed via clicking apply now section and
2. A short 1 minute video should be posted on YouTube, with the link attached to the
online application form.
Application Deadline: July 11, 2017Application ClosedOfficial link