The Centre for the Study of African Economies are delighted to announce that it will hold its first-ever conference dedicated to China-Africa economic engagement.
Empirical papers on the broad theme of China’s economic, development and political economy relationships with the African continent are invited. Suitable topics include, but are not limited to: aid, trade, foreign direct investment, industrialization, public debt, Belt and Road initiative, environmental sustainability, governance, and institutions.
The keynote speaker at the conference will be Prof. Deborah Bräutigam (Johns Hopkins University SAIS-CARI).
First Panel: Industrialisation, Investment and Trade
- Professor Lawrence Edwards (University of Cape Town)
- Professor Heiwai Tang (University of Hong Kong)
- Senior Economist Girum Abebe Tefera (World Bank’s Africa Region Gender Innovation Lab)
Alongside a keynote address and plenary panels, there will be parallel sessions where academics will present their empirical research. For these sessions, CSAE will be looking for contributions on the broad theme of China’s economic and development relationships with Africa.
Are you a scholar researching economic relationships between China and Africa? Then submit your paper today!
There is a limited budget to fund African and Chinese presenters who are currently living and working in Africa or China, and who will be travelling from there to the conference in Oxford. If awarded, funding will cover:
- Conference registration costs
- Papers should be attached to a submission email that contains the following details:
- Title of paper being submitted
- Up to three subject keywords – such as trade, BRI, political economy, aid
- Submitting author details (full name, address, email, and institution)
- Indication if applying for travel funding (Yes or No)
- Indication if want to be considered for possible pre-event in China (Yes or No)
- Paper abstract (max 500 words)
- Applicants can submit papers for both the China’s Economic Engagement with the African Continent conference and the CSAE Conference 2020: Economic Development in Africa. Papers must be submitted separately.
*Please note that papers presented at the China’s Economic Engagement with the African Continent conference cannot also be presented at the CSAE Conference 2020. If your paper is accepted to both conferences, you will need to decide which conference you would like to present the paper at. Kindly check the official link for more details.Eligible Regions: Multiple Regions.
- Please send your submission email to ([email protected]) with the text “China–Africa conference submission” in the subject line.
- Both papers and extended abstracts are accepted, but priority will be given to full drafts of papers. Please ensure your paper also includes a short abstract (up to 500 words).
Application Deadline: October 25, 2019Application ClosedOfficial link