The UN 2023 Water Conference in New York, 22-24 March 2023, is a crucial occasion to take stock of the water situation, jointly reflect and devise meaningful and innovative approaches, and thereby laying out an action agenda to tackle the water crises and help achieve SDG 6. It is clear that meaningful progress to attain SDG 6 can only be made if everyone comes together. Partnership and Cooperation is not just the theme, it is also a demand for the world, countries, organisations, and individuals to come together and join hands, ideas and efforts so that everyone can enjoy access to clean, safe and affordable water.
A picture tells a thousand words. Across history, art has been used as a way to disseminate information, tell stories and inspire action. The winning submissions of this competition wield the power to inspire millions by telling stories of how people come together to improve water resources, connect the unconnected, celebrate life and value nature.
Photography turns abstract concepts into visual realities, tells inspiring stories in an instant, and helps spread awareness of issues through accessible means. We anticipate to elevate inspiring stories of collaboration by hosting this competition.
Building on UNESCO’s cross-disciplinary mandate on culture, education and natural sciences, Water Science Policy, under the patronage of UNESCO’s World Water Assessment Program, is facilitating this photostory competition. It is intended to:
- Raise awareness on the intertwined relationship between water and the various dimensions of culture, from heritage to arts and creativity, in the past and present;
- Demonstrate how culture could effectively support the sustainable use and management of water;
- Inform on policy-making relating to water use and management, especially using the cross-cutting perspectives of relevant stakeholders, including artists, cultural practitioners and civil society organisations, and contribute to joint actions in the international water agenda.
- 1st place: 400€ + published via WSPs website + featured in photo-book + free photo-book copy + displayed in New York during UN 2023 Water Conference
- 2nd place: 200€ + published via WSPs website + featured in photo-book + free photo-book copy + displayed in New York during UN 2023 Water Conference
- 3rd place: 100€ + published via WSPs website + featured in photo-book + free photo-book copy + displayed in New York during UN 2023 Water Conference
- 12 merits: published via WSPs website + featured in photo-book + free photo-book copy + displayed in New York during UN 2023 Water Conference
● Entrants should ideally retain high-resolution and/or RAW files of their submissions. If your submission is selected as a finalist or winner, you will be asked to submit a high-resolution image for printing and display.
● UNESCO and Water Science Policy reserve the right, at their discretion, to disqualify and remove any entry that does not comply with the following requirements. You warrant and represent, in respect of each entry submitted by You (“Entry”), as follows:
– You are the sole owner and author of each Entry
– You have the right to make Your entry available to the Competition
– Each Entry does not contain any threatening, pornographic, false, harassing, vulgar, obscene, scandalous, misleading, abusive, libellous, defamatory, , inflammatory, or profane content.
– Each Entry does not contain any material that could constitute or encourage conduct which would be considered a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any law
– Each Entry does not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, contract rights, or any other intellectual property rights of any third person or entity, or violate any person’s rights of privacy or publicity, and Your Entry does not include:
– Trademarks owned by third parties
– Copyrighted materials owned by third parties
– Names or other characteristics identifying celebrities or other public figures, living or dead
– Entries which contain any commercial content that promotes any product or service other than that of UNESCO and Water Science Policy.
– No animals, people or any living being were harmed or manipulated in the making of the image
– You confirm that each person depicted in the Entry has granted permission to be portrayed as shown. Any costumes, props or other materials used must be rented or borrowed with the permission of the owner, and all other relevant permissions must have been obtained.
Eligible Regions: open for all
- 5-10 photographs which tell a story of ‘water, partnerships and cooperation’.
- Each photo should be numbered and have a short caption.
- Photos should be in .jpg or .png with a resolution of at least 1920×1080.
- Each entrant can submit up to three (3) photostories. Each story will be judged individually.
- Please also make sure to review the submissions rules
If you are up to the challenge, you can now submit your photostories to [email protected] until 14th February 2023.
- 1 Word or .pdf file written in Calibri font, size 11, with title, overall story of 200-500 words, names of the author(s), country and location of the photostory, and listed captions for each of the pictures.
- 5-15 photos. Photos should be numbered with related short captions. Photos should be in .jpg or .png with a resolution of at least 1920×1080.
- 1 Word or .pdf file with signed Photo Licence Agreement
Application Deadline: February 14, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link