The National Essay Competition, targeted at senior secondary students in Nigeria, is organised annually, as part of the UBA Foundation’s education initiative which aims to promote the reading culture and encourage healthy and intellectual competition amongst secondary school students in Nigeria and across Africa.
Entries open on Wednesday, 7th September 2022, and close Friday, 14th October 2022.
United Bank for Africa (UBA) is Africa’s Global bank with a rich history spanning over seven decades. The bank which is headquartered in Lagos, Nigeria, is one of the most recognised financial institutions to originate from Sub-Saharan Africa with thriving operations in 20 African countries – Republique du Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroun, Congo Brazzaville, Congo DRC, Cote d’lvoire, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Mozambique, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, Tchad, Uganda and Zambia.
UBA also operates in the United Kingdom and France and we are the only sub-Saharan African bank with a deposit-taking license in the USA. We officially opened for business in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates in 2022.
They have proven expertise and capacity
UBA provides corporate, commercial, SME, consumer and personal (retail) banking services to more than 27 million customers, served through diverse channels: over 1,000 business offices and customer touch points with 2,669 ATMs, 87,223 PoS, and robust online banking services. Additionally, UBA offers pension custody and related services.
The bank has proven expertise and capacity in key sectors of economies across Africa, especially in Oil and Gas, Infrastructure Finance, Agric, and Commodity/Export, and this positions us as a preferred partner for structured solutions to key governments and corporates operating in/into Africa.
Selection Criteria and Eligibility: Candidate,
– Must be a secondary school student
– Must submit a scanned copy of your handwritten essay (750 words MAX)
– Must submit a passport photograph
– Must submit a copy of a birth certificate, National ID or Passport
Entries received for the competition will be reviewed by a distinguished panel of judges made up of professors from reputable Nigerian Universities, who will then shortlist 12 essays for further assessment
Following this, the second round of the competition will involve the 12 finalists who will write a second supervised essay from which the three best essays will be selected as the overall winners from the 12 finalists emerged from the first round of the competition
The first prize for the UBA National Essay Competition is an N5 million educational grant to any African University of their choice, while the second and third prizes are N3 million and N2.5 million in educational grants to African Universities, respectively
Please note that all incomplete and/or duplicate entries will be disqualified
- The first prize for the UBA National Essay Competition is an N5 million educational grant to any African University of their choice,
- The second prize is N3 million in educational grants to African Universities
- The third prize is N2.5 million in educational grants to African Universities
- Must be in Senior Secondary school
- Must submit a handwritten essay (750 words MAX)
- Must submit a passport photograph
- Must submit a scanned copy of a means of identification (birth certificate, National ID, or passport)
- Applicant must submit their valid contact information (Name, Age, School, Address of school, Telephone Number, Residential Address, and Email Address).
- Applicants must upload a scanned copy of their original birth certificates or international passport data page.
- Applicants must upload a handwritten essay on the portal.
Application Deadline: October 14, 2022Application ClosedOfficial link