The call for entries is open now for the 2024 Edition of Prix Viviane Esders Photography Prize!
The Prix was designed by Viviane Esders, a gallery owner, photographer, and collector with over 40 years of experience in the art world. After Mario Carnicelli, photographer awarded in 2022, Viviane Esders has awarded Pierre de Vallombreuse in 2023. This year, a winner will be chosen from three nominees selected by an eminent jury.
A 40-year-plus photographer with a distinct aesthetic voice and personal flair is given the Prix Viviane Esders. Entries with a critical attitude towards the image, a distinct non-documentary reflection style, and a strong dedication are favoured. Viviane Esders is one of five photographers who have been nominated for the title; a panel made up of five prominent figures in the art industry will choose the winner. The extraordinary grant is meant to promote sharing and commemorate a career’s longevity. The winner must utilise 10,000 euros of this grant towards the cost of writing a book.
The Prix Viviane Esders seeks to celebrate the lives and vision of photographers and writers, whose medium has ceaselessly fueled Esders’s professional development since the 1980s. The recipient of this prize is a photographer who is committed to creating art and whose life path and that of the organization’s founder, who is devoted to knowing, loving, and presenting photographers, complement each other and are inseparable.
The Viviane Esders Prize is administered in accordance with the policies established by the Viviane Esders endowment fund. The goal of this endowment fund, which is a continuation of the passionate, independent, and dedicated life path that led to it, is to carry on the photographic legacy of its founder, to create a collection of almost 600 works, the majority of which are the product of one-of-a-kind encounters, and to expand the initiatives that Viviane Esders supports to spread the love of photography.
- The winner will receive an endowment of €50,000 and Part of this grant, 10,000 euros, must be used by the winner to contribute to producing a book.
- The two finalist will each receive an endowment of €5,000.
- Candidates must be professional photographers, having lived from photography for most of their career (personal projects, commissions, teaching). All professional statuses are accepted (author, artist, employee, self-employed,…).
- Applications are not open to amateur photographers.
- The candidate must be of European nationality (European Community, including Switzerland and UK).
- Non-European photographers living in France are not eligible. He or she may reside outside Europe at the time of application and have spent all or part of his or her career outside Europe.
- The candidate must be at least 60 years old in the calendar year of the application.
- Candidates may reapply from one year to the next.
- To apply, the photographer must first complete the online application form.
- Visit the Apply Link by clicking on the “APPLY NOW” button.
- Complete the google form and download the application form from there.
The application file must then be sent by email via WeTansfer in a single PDF including :
- The completed application form and the signed and initialed rules
- A written biography with a CV (3 pages maximum)
- A portfolio of 40 dated and captioned images summarizing the photographic career (the photographs must be integrated into PDF files). The selection must be accompanied by a short text of presentation of the whole and/or a short text by series of photographs.
- A note of intention motivating the candidature by justifying the utility of this endowment to prolong its work (3 pages maximum)
- A copy of the identity document attesting the age of the candidate.
- The application must be sent in a single PDF file not exceeding 50 megas.
Application Deadline: April 29, 2024 (59 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link