This contest is based on the premise that amongst other factors, lack of sanitation coverage (in rural populations of developing countries), is due to lack of innovation on cost reductions, to make them more accessible to the masses. FINISH (Financial Inclusion Improves Sanitation & Health) Mondial invites you to rise to the challenge and propose an ‘innovation’ in one or more of the components of an onsite sanitation system to facilitate the installation and usage of toilets in developing countries, preferable in one the FINISH Mondial countries (India, Bangladesh, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania & Ethiopia). The innovation can be created through novel design and/or novel choice of materials used and/or a new process and/or any other component that will help to reduce the cost of a sanitation system.
FINISH (Financial Inclusion Improves Sanitation & Health) Mondial is an ambitious, 6-country WASH program aiming to substantially scale up the access and use of safe sanitation in Africa and Asia. FINISH started in India (2009) with the aim of building a local system to deliver sanitation services on a large scale. The FINISH approach ensures that people are aware of the need for a safe and durable toilet, people want to buy one, it is built and safely managed by local people and furthermore, is affordable. This is achieved by a combined effort of four key actors in the Diamond Model domains who jointly work towards the development of local sanitation markets for inclusive, sustainable scale. To date, FINISH Mondial has constructed over 1 million toilets (and counting!), providing access to safe sanitation for well over 5 million people.
- Cost reduction in material use, including use of cheap but quality materials
- Cost reduction in terms of less wastage
- Cost reduction in terms of less number of people engaged (Time or absolute number)
- Speed (time) of construction that lead to reduction of cost
- The simplicity of construction /installation of (part of) a sanitation system
- Consideration of sludge management (such as simplicity of emptying, onsite treatment etc.)
- Climate elements (water usage and carbon footprint of materials used)
- Suitability for the environment and context it is designed for
- Amenability to local modifications
- Aesthetics and appeal
Announcement of Winners: 31 August 2020
Award Ceremony: TBD
- First prize : € 3,000 + actual implementation of your solution in one of the FINISH Mondial countries (other than the country you have first worked out the solution).
- Second prize : € 2,000
- Third prize : € 1,000
- They are specifically looking for inputs from practicing (master) masons and artisans (field innovations).
- Incremental innovations may also be sought from other practitioners or if you want to widen the net students of technical colleges etc. may also apply
- A detailed design that best explains your ideas. This could be in the form of technical drawings, 3D virtual models, sketches presented in the form of jpg, pdf, jpgs, mov or other widely used formats. Please save the file under the name “Last Name_Design_Sanitation Challenge 2020”
- A detailed calculation of the cost saved. Please save the file under the name “Last Name_Cost_Sanitation Challenge 2020”
- The list of assumptions – of location, whom it is meant for, soil, and weather conditions. Please save the file under the name “Last Name_Assumptions_Sanitation Challenge 2020”
- Send files to [email protected] or submit your solution through the Apply Now link.
Application Deadline: July 31, 2020 (27 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link