Applications/Nominations are now being accepted for Politician of the Year Award 2020 by One Young World! This year’s award will be presented to top 5 winners at One Young World 2020 in Munich.
According to the Inter-Parliamentary Union, only 2% of parliamentarians globally are under the age of 30 and just 14% are under 40. The issue is exacerbated by policies in 73% of countries that restrict young people of voting age from running for office. Lack of representation raises the substantial risk of disconnecting an entire generation from their nations’ political processes.
The One Young World Politician of the Year Award was created to recognize the most promising young politicians between the ages of 18-35 from around the world. The winners are chosen based on the impact they are having in their home countries and how they have used their position to benefit young people specifically. It is the first global award recognizing the work of young politicians and was launched to counter the low level of youth engagement in politics. One can apply for himself/herself or he/she can nominate a person he/she knows who has created a considerable impact in this field of work.
The 2019 winners were:
- HERVÉ BERVILLE: Spokesperson for La République En Marche!, France
- JUAN GUAIDÓ: President of the National Assembly, Venezuela
- THÓRDÍS KOLBRÚN R. GYLFADÓTTIR: Minister for Tourism, Industries and Innovation & Minister of Justice, Iceland
- MAGID MAGID: Green Party MEP for Yorkshire and the Humber & Lord Mayor of Sheffield, UK
- MBALI NTULI: Democratic Alliance representative, South Africa
The annual One Young World Summit convenes the brightest young talent from every country and sector, working to accelerate social impact. Delegates from 190+ countries are counseled by influential political, business and humanitarian leaders such as Justin Trudeau, Paul Polman, and Meghan Markle, amongst many other global figures. The One Young World Summit 2020 will take place in Munich, Germany from 14 to 17 October 2020.
In addition to receiving the award, the awardees will also receive:
- Access to the entirety of the One Young World Summit 2020 in Munich
- Hotel accommodation on a private basis between 13 and 17 (inclusive) October 2020
- The cost of travel to and from Munich (flights in economy)
- Catering, which includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Transport between the Summit accommodation and the Summit venue
To be considered for the award, nominees are required to meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be aged between 18 and 35 years old
- Hold/have held elected or appointed office at any political level (local, national or supranational)
- Have had a tangible and material impact on young people in their communities
- Have acted to highlight the importance of political participation as a way to effect positive change
Apply online through the given link.
Application Deadline: April 18, 2020Application ClosedOfficial link