Magma’s 2017/18 poetry competitions are now open for your prize-winning long and short poems.
Magma is very excited to announce that award-winning poet Mona Arshi is the judge for the Judge’s Prize for poems of 11 to 50 lines and she will be reading all entries – there are no sifters. The Editors’ Prize is judged by a panel of five Magma Editors and is for poems of up to 10 lines. The prize money for both competitions is the same, so double your chances and try your luck at both.
- First prize for the Judge’s and Editors’ Prize is £1000,
- second prize £300 and
- third prize £150.
- The six prize-winning poems will be published in Magma
- There will also be five special mentions for the Judge’s Prize and for the Editors’ Prize.
- Winning and commended poets will be invited to read their poems at a Magma Competition Event in Spring 2018.
- No alterations can be made after receipt, nor fees refunded
- All poems must be previously unpublished
- The judge’s and editors’ decisions are final and no correspondence can be entered into. No entrant may win more than one prize in each section
- Should the named judge be unable to proceed, we aim to substitute an alternative judge of equivalent standing as a poet
- Prizewinners will be notified individually before 1 March 2018. The results will also be published on the Magma Poetry website after the prize-giving event
- Copyright of each entry remains with the author, but Magma Poetry has the right to first publication of the winning poems in print and/or online within six months of the competition deadline
- Entry implies acceptance of all the rules. Failure to comply with the rules will result in disqualification
- Full instructions on entering can be found on the Submittable competition page. Please read them carefully.
- Alternatively, you can post your poems with the completed entry form found in our competition leaflet together with your payment.
- The entry fees are £5 for the first poem, £4 for the second and £3.50 for the third and each subsequent poem. Magma magazine subscribers benefit from reduced fees: £4 for the first poem, £3 for the second, and £2.50 for the third and each subsequent poem. Payment must be made in sterling, by cheque or money order payable to “Magma Poetry” for postal entries, and via Submittable for online entries.
Application Deadline: January 15, 2018Application ClosedOfficial link