The ClimateScience (CS) Olympiad is a global competition engaging youth to find solutions to some of the most challenging climate issues and empowering them to be the climate leaders/innovators of tomorrow. 2021 was the first year the Olympiad was conducted to engage thousands of students from across the globe. We aimed for 10,000 participants and reached more than 12,400 from 149 countries.
The award ceremony of ClimateScience Olympiad 2021 was conducted at the UN’s Climate Summit (COP26) in Glasgow, UK on Tuesday, 9th of November 2021, with speakers including Dr. Jane Goodall and Renate Christ (fmr. Director of the IPCC).
- The top 500, 100, and top 10 participants get a digital Bronze, Silver and Gold medal, respectively. In addition, they provide $15,000 of prize money for the top 10 teams, divided as follows:
- #1 wins $5,000
- #2 wins $3,000
- #3 wins $2,000
- #4-6 win $1,000
- #7-10 win $500
- In 2021, the top 3 participants got a speaking slot at the UN’s Climate Summit. We hope to again give the top participants such an opportunity in 2022.
- The questions of the CS Olympiad put students in the shoes of leaders, make them research about a particular issue in depth. Working on such problems enhances students’ research, analysis, problem solving and articulation abilities.
- Apart from that participants get to be part of a global community and meet like-minded people in a healthy competitive environment.
- Open for free to age groups 12-16, 17-20, 21-25 years old.
- Either participate alone or in a team of two. They must have a access to stable internet as the entire competition is online.
- Must be fluent in at least one of the following languages – English, Portuguese, Spanish, French, Russian, Chinese, Polish, Dutch, Japanese, Italian, German, Romanian
Students can register by visiting the official website.
The competition will be conducted in the following 4 stages –
The qualifier round at a glance:
- Format: 10 Multiple choice questions designed by educators and scientists
- Time requirement: 25 minutes
- Technical requirements: Fully online, students need to have access to any digital device and stable internet connection
- Up to 50,000 students (top 5% of each month’s qualifiers)
- Format: 15 in-depth multiple choice questions to be completed in 25 minutes
- Up to 5,000 teams. The top 10% of each month’s quarter-finalists are invited.
- Themes: Clean Energy, Sustainable transportation, Biodiversity, Water Resources, Sustainable agriculture, Global Development and health, Sustainable economy
- Format: Participants receive a complex problem set based on one of the theme mentioned above, they have to write a 1000 words proposal that is socially equitable, realistic, economically feasible and rapidly implementable.
- Time requirement – 3 hours, semi-finals are held every last Sunday of the month till August 2022.
Top 100 teams
Same format as the semi-finals plus 20 minutes presentations in addition to the essays judged by world-leading scientists, innovators and policy-makers.
Application Deadline: August 10, 2022Application ClosedOfficial link