The elimination of all forms of discrimination has been one of the core objectives of the United Nations since its inception. Human rights are at the heart of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), as in the absence of human dignity we cannot drive sustainable development. Human Rights are driven by progress on all SDGs, and the SDGs are driven by advancements on human rights.
Human Rights Day provides an opportunity to reflect on the principles enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights which empowers us all to take action in our own daily lives against all forms of discrimination and to uphold the rights that protect us all thereby promoting the kinship of all human beings.
As photography is a powerful medium of expression that can be used to communicate strong messages about a subject, this contest seeks to inspire action through imagery. Persons are requested to capture a photo that depicts what “Leaving No One Behind” means in the human rights context of their countries- exploring themes of anti-discrimination and inclusion.
- Prizes to be awarded are as follows:
- 1st prize: $500 USD
- 2nd prize: $250 USD
- 3rd prize: $100 USD
- Prizes will be presented by the UN Resident Coordinator during a ceremony on Human Rights Day 2019 (Dec. 10) in Barbados followed by a press release announcing the results.
- All entries will be exhibited.
- The UN Barbados and OECs office will cover awardees travel costs for those living outside of Barbados.
- Entrants must be citizens of one of the following countries: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Commonwealth of Dominica, Grenada, Montserrat, Saint Lucia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- The contest is open to youth aged 10-25 years.
- Entrants of all skill levels are invited to participate.
Eligible Regions: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Commonwealth of Dominica, Grenada, Montserrat, Saint Lucia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Submit your photo online through the Apply Now Link.
Application Deadline: November 1, 2019Application ClosedOfficial link