Washington artists will have the opportunity to share their creative visions in response to the Black Lives Matter movement with help from a new grant program established by Jordan Schnitzer in partnership with Washington State University’s Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art (JSMA WSU).
A panel is being formed to review the artist submissions which will include: Ryan Hardesty, Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art WSU; Io Palmer, Department of Fine Arts WSU; Lisa Guerrero, School of Languages, Cultures, and Race WSU; Trymaine Gaither, Honors College WSU; and Mikayla Makle, Black Student Union WSU.
Grantees will be notified by October 31.
Contemporary artists that work in the following mediums are encouraged to apply: Work that is primarily visual in nature, such as ceramics, drawing, painting, sculpture, printmaking, design, crafts, photography, video, and film making. These works may also incorporate aspects of performing arts, conceptual art, and textile arts and design.
- The JSMA WSU Black Lives Matter Artist Grant Program will distribute $2,500 grants to 20 artists across the state of Washington who will be asked to use their voices, experiences, and artistic expression to reflect on social justice efforts in response to systemic racism.
- This grant is complemented by $50,000 grant programs at Jordan Schnitzer Museums of Art at Portland State University and the University of Oregon.
- Selected works will be exhibited online at the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art in fall 2020 leading to a gallery exhibition in winter 2021.
Artists residing throughout the state of Washington are encouraged to submit proposals for new work or projects, or recently created work directly responding to: the current Black Lives Matter movement; marginalized communities; experiences with systemic racism and inequality; and artists whose work thematically connects to these experiences. Artists working in the mediums detailed below are invited to apply.Eligible Regions: USA
- Interested artists should submit their applications no later than September 30, 2020.
- Apply through the given link.
Application Deadline: September 30, 2020Application ClosedOfficial link