The South Africa Media Innovation Program (SAMIP) is pleased to announce a call for independent media organizations from Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, Zambia, and Zimbabwe to apply to join the cohort.
The South Africa Media Innovation Program (SAMIP) was established in 2017 by Media Development Investment Fund as a multi-year initiative to accelerate digital innovation and sustainability among select independent media outlets in South Africa. The program has provided a mix of financing (grants/equity) and capacity building to a total of 24 independent media companies, non-profits and start-ups.
The program now seeks to expand this cohort to include a small number of new entrants from Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
To diversify, strengthen and support innovation among independent media initiatives in Southern African countries, through a mix of project funding, technical support, and capacity building over a three-year period.
- SAMIP aims to enroll five new organizations through this call.
- Project grants of USD 5,000-15,000 per organization.
- Technical assistance grants of up to 1000 USD per organization.
- Capacity-building through mentorship, coaching, workshops, and training.
- This call for applications is limited to entities based in Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- Applications are open to existing independent media companies and non-profit organizations, as well as new ventures that are less than a year old.
- Funding focus areas are provided.
- Those who are developing new approaches to reporting and storytelling that embrace the possibilities of technology.
- Those who are serving underserved audiences, especially along the lines of race, gender, age, income or location.
- Those who are supporting new models for distributing news that save costs, add value, or reach new audiences.
- Those who are creating new sources of revenue that can support media sustainability and independence.
- Apply online through the Apply Now Link.
- Brief project proposal needs to be provided in the application.
Application Deadline: July 31, 2021Application ClosedOfficial link