Microsoft is currently accepting proposals for the AI for Accessibility Grants Program 2021! Apply now!
The AI for Accessibility program provides access to advanced Microsoft Azure cloud computing resources to individuals and organizations working on empowering people with disabilities across the world. The AI for Accessibility program awards grants to projects that build on recent advancements in Microsoft Cognitive Services and Machine Learning to develop accessible and intelligent AI solutions in any of the four areas of focus to empower your work through grants, investments of technology, and experience.
AI for Accessibility grants support projects that use AI to empower people living with disabilities. They are looking for individuals or teams who are not only passionate about making the world more inclusive, but also firmly rooted in the communities they intend to benefit. They want to invest in ideas that are developed by or with people with disabilities.
Evaluation Criteria: AI for Accessibility grant applications are reviewed by Microsoft employees who are directly involved in the AI for Accessibility grant selection process for the sole purpose of proposal review and to determine the grant level to be provided. Projects should be developed with or by people with disabilities. Applications are evaluated on their scientific merit, innovative use of AI technology, and potential for scalability. Applications are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Relevance: AI and/or machine learning are core to the project success.
- Impact: Your project clearly elevates education, employment, community, or home outcomes for someone with a disability.
- Data: Your team is open to sharing privacy compliant data for future innovation.
- Feasible: The project is achievable within a one-year timeframe. This could be phase 1 of your project, but there should be tangible deliverables completed each quarter that are wrapped up in 12 months.
- Capable: Your team should have the knowledge and skill to deliver the idea, or you should have a plan to partner with someone who can fill in any gaps.
- Sustainable: The project has room to grow beyond the first year of funding.
- Showcase-able: Talks on whatever you deliver!
Microsoft’s community of AI for Accessibility grantees will receive:
- Azure compute credits worth $10,000, $15,000, or $20,000 (depending on your project scope and needs)
- Azure developer support, resources, and opportunities to collaborate and showcase their work
- Coverage of all costs related to collecting or labeling data, developing models, or other engineering-related work.
AI for Accessibility is a call to action for-
- Developers, NGO’s, academics, researchers, and inventors to accelerate their work by and with people with disabilities
- From a tinkerer in a basement to an established corporation, from students to professionals
- This is a global program; grant applications from all countries in the world are eligible
If you are worried about not meeting all requirements, please connect to someone in your community who can support you and partner on an application.Eligible Regions: Open for all.
- The most important part of each application is a project proposal that describes the accessibility challenge addressed, the technical solution proposed, and its potential impact on people with disabilities. Please follow the application form and be as specific as possible. Your proposal should be written in English. While there is no specific format for proposals, a guideline is below that outlines the information that is important to include and further elaboration can be found on the official website:
- Project summary
- Technical component
- Proposals are accepted on a rolling basis and reviewed a few times a year.
- Applicants have to submit their project proposals via the online application form. To start the application process please click on Apply Now.
Application Deadline: July 31, 2021Application ClosedOfficial link