The Royal Geographical Society (with the Institute of British Geographers) is the UK’s learned society and professional body for geography. They advance geography and support geographers in the UK and across the world.
The Gilchrist Fieldwork Award, of the Gilchrist Educational Trust, was first awarded in 1990. It is entirely owned, funded and awarded by the Trust, but operationally administered for a fee by the Royal Geographical Society (with IBG).The award, now annual, of £15,000 is given to a team of researchers with an outstanding proposal for research to advance geographical knowledge, that requires significant, challenging overseas fieldwork. The award should support a single field session of high-quality research and data collection. There should be strong links and collaborations with local agencies and communities. Local benefits should be demonstrated in applications.
As a charity, learned society and professional body, they reach millions of people each year through our work in advancing geography and supporting geographers.
- An award worth £15,000.
- Applications from geographers, ecologists, anthropologists, archaeologists, earth and environmental scientists, and researchers from related fields are all strongly encouraged.
- The award is open to established researchers.
- Applicants must hold a PhD at time of application and be based in a UK Higher Education Institution or equivalent research establishment.
- To apply for a grant, please complete the RGS-IBG grants programme application form and send this by email to the Society’s Grants Officer ([email protected]) by 23.59 on the deadline date stated on the grant’s page.
- When submitting an application, please read the guidance on the page of the grant for which you are applying, as well as that provided on the Advice and Resources pages.
- Applications for some grants have specific application forms, requirements and questions of referees. Please refer to individual grant pages for more information.
- Please do not send supporting documents such as previous reports, these will not be used when screening the applications.
- Applications will be assessed by an external panel of experts. Interviews are held for some grants. If this applies, it is stated on the page for the grant.
Application Deadline: November 23, 2022 (59 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link