The goals of the Emergency Medicine Foundation COVID-19 Grant are to conduct research that will provide high-impact new knowledge to advance emergency patient care, improve the response of hospitals/healthcare and EMS systems, and protect emergency medicine healthcare professionals during pandemics.
Topics may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including Design, Cleaning, Re-use
- Ventilator Scarcity
- Laboratory Testing
- Rapid Screening, Triage, and Testing
- Clinical Diagnosis
- Epidemiology of Disease
- Diagnostic Radiology, including Point of Care Ultrasound
- Emergency Medicine Workforce, including Safety
- Emergency Physician Wellness
- Special Populations, such as High Risk, Homeless, Non-English Speaking, Transplantation Patients
- A total of $100,000 is being made available from the EMF Endowment Fund.
- Grant requests can range from $10,000 to $50,000.
- An emergency physician must be a Principal or Co-Principal Investigator.
- Co-Investigators from the emergency medicine team or other disciplines are encouraged.
- The Principal Investigator will make all arrangements for the conduct of the proposed research and assumes responsibility for conducting the research projects and supervising the work of all associate investigators.
- The applicant is required to demonstrate that the project will be successfully completed at their institution. Research must be approved by the institutional review board (IRB)or its equivalent, and a copy of the approval or pending approval sent with this application. IRB approval must be documented prior to the dispensation of EMF funds.
- The applicant must also submit a letter from the Chair/Director of Emergency Medicine stating that adequate funds and time will be available to the applicant to complete the proposed project.
- Submit a completed application (one PDF) via email to Cynthia Singh at [email protected]
- Late applications will not be considered.
Before submitting your application, please be sure that the following items have been addressed:
- The information page is included as the first page of the application packet and is fully completed (sample attached).
- The type size is 11 pt. font, single-spaced and one-half (0.5 inches) margins
- Evidence of IRB approval, or at least evidence of submission to IRB, from each institution, is included in the application packet (for multi-centered studies, approval from or evidence of submission to IRB/AUC for all sites is required)
- Statement of Conditions is signed by Principal Investigator and Institutional Official and is included in the application packet
- A letter of support from the Emergency Medicine Chair is included in the application appendix.
Application Deadline: June 5, 2020Application ClosedOfficial link