Applications are now open for the Earth Journalism Network Bay of Bengal Media Grants 2020.
The Bay of Bengal is widely recognized as one of the most vulnerable regions to the impacts of climate change. This vulnerability stems from both the wide variety of climate risks as well as the density and diversity of the roughly 400 million people who call it home.
Unfortunately, the voices and perspectives of those 400 million people are often overlooked or undercovered, and they face barriers to information that would help them adapt and respond to climate change’s impacts.
To right this wrong, Earth Journalism Network (EJN) is providing funding to support media and other information-generating organizations to grow, expand and improve news coverage of climate change, the environment and natural resource issues along the Bay of Bengal coast in Bangladesh and India.
EJN is particularly interested in activities that cover one or more of the following:
- Use of innovative approaches and platforms to create and disseminate news and information.
- Build the knowledge, resources and tools available to local journalists and other information providers to cover the environment more effectively.
- Build the institutional capacity of organizations that support environmental journalism.
- Support partnerships among peers or with other environmental stakeholders for environmental reporting.
- A typical grant will be for up to US$20,000 and support a one-year project.
- This grant will help enable media outlets, civil society organizations, think-tanks and academic institutions working in the Bay of Bengal region of Bangladesh and India to help build local capacity for reporting and information exchange related to climate change, natural resource management and the environment.
Media organizations, journalism networks, universities and journalism schools located in the Bay of Bengal region in coastal Bangladesh and the coastal areas of four Indian states – West Bengal, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu (including Pondicherry).Eligible Regions: Bangladesh, India
- Fill in the online application form by clicking on the “Apply Now” button at the top right of the official link.
- If you have an existing account, you’ll need to log in. If not, you must register for an account by clicking “Join the Network” on the top right of the page.
- If you start the application and want to come back and complete it later, you can click “Save Draft.” To return to the draft, you’ll need to go back to the opportunity and click “Apply Now” again to finalize the application.
- All applicants are required to submit a budget on the application form. Please download thie given form from the official link and use it to build your project budget.
Application Deadline: October 31, 2019Application ClosedOfficial link