The DW Akademie Film Development Fund has been designed to support filmmakers from the Global South who are passionate about storytelling and want to build their careers. They are looking for filmmakers who have already made one or more films and would now like support in developing their next project!
They offer a comprehensive, year-long program that includes financial support, professional mentoring, and training. Two independent juries will award five filmmakers (director or writer) per country to receive up to 10,000 Euros to contribute to the development of their film project.
DW Akademie will provide a mentoring program in combination with training sessions. It is part of the funding and selected filmmakers must agree to participate in at least 80% of the mentorship and training days offered.
- The funding is available for filmmakers (scriptwriters/directors) who satisfy the following criteria:
- Have previously worked on at least one fictional or non-fictional feature-length or short film, that has been released either locally or internationally,
- Be a citizen of the country in which the call for application is taking place,
- Live and work in the respective country.
- Producers are not eligible to apply.
- Eligible formats are fictional and non-fictional feature-length films as well as hybrids (minimum length: 60 minutes)
- The funding is for the development phase of the film’s overall production. The development phase includes but is not limited to the following activities:
- Script development
- Location and character scouting
- Development of marketing or distribution strategies
- Selected filmmakers will receive up to €10,000 for the development phase of their film.
- The funding will not be awarded if the same development activities applied for – as stated in the applicant’s activity schedule – have already received funding elsewhere.
- Projects funded must adhere to the values of the United Nations “Universal Declaration of Human Rights” (UDHR). Projects that violate the UDHR by, for example, glorifying war, physical, psychological or sexual violence, or offending moral or religious feelings, will not be supported.
- Filmmakers (directors/scriptwriters) who are based in Tanzania or Uganda and have worked in a professional context on at least one fictional or non-fictional production are eligible to apply. The film needs to have been released either locally or internationally (e.g., theatrical release, screening in a national or international festival, TV broadcast, digital third-party broadcast, streaming/VOD).
- Please note that you must be a Ugandan or Tanzanian citizen to apply. Filmmakers from the diaspora are not eligible.
- Eligible formats are fictional and non-fictional feature-length films (at least 60 minutes) currently in development.
- The fund focuses on the development stage of a film’s overall production. This is the phase for creating ideas, writing screenplays, acquiring financing, contracting rights etc.
- Development activities eligible for funding include, but are not limited to: work on your screenplay, research (travel), production of a mood reel, participation in labs (lab and travel fees), acquiring financing for production (work on further funding applications, travel to festivals, etc), location and/or character/protagonist scouting, etc.
- If you are unsure whether your planned activities are eligible for funding, please contact DW Akademie: [email protected]
- Applicants must submit their application in full by the respective deadlines.
- Documents to be submitted by application closing date :
- Application form(online )
- Activity schedule
- Applicants whose projects are shortlisted may be asked to submit:
- The latest version of the treatment or screenplay
- DW Akademie will contact applicants whose projects are shortlisted. This will take place approximately three weeks after the application deadline. Please note: Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- It is not possible to submit applications for more than one project.
- There is no legal claim to funding.
Application Deadline: October 25, 2021Application ClosedOfficial link