Behind every life-changing solution is an entrepreneurial scientist. A creative mind who proved an idea in the lab and dared to carry it out in the world. To encourage more scientists to translate their research, BioInnovation Institute (BII) & Science present a new annual award.
The BioInnovation Institute Foundation (BII) is an international non-profit foundation supported by the Novo Nordisk Foundation. BII operates an incubator to accelerate world-class life science innovation that drives the development of new solutions by early-stage life science start-ups for the benefit of people and society.
The BII & Science Prize Innovation acknowledges the increasing translational potential within the life sciences of bringing ideas to life and science to market. The prize is started to recognize entrepreneurial talent and promote innovation in the life sciences.
- The prize is presented for outstanding research performed by the applicant as described in a 1,000-word essay.
- The Grand Prize winner will be awarded a cash prize of USD 25,000, and will be provided travel and accommodation for the awards ceremony, if applicable. They will also receive a 5-year digital subscription to Science, and have their winning essay published in Science, both in print and online.
- Up to two runner(s)-up will receive USD 10,000, and be provided travel and accommodation for the awards ceremony, if applicable. They will also receive a 5-year digital subscription to Science, and their essay will be published in Science online.
- The selected Grand Prize winner and runner(s)-up will have an opportunity to be paired with the business development team for evaluation of their eligibility for any BioInnovation Institute (BII) programs.
- If eligible, they will receive assistance for submission of a proposal to BII. All processes, rules, and policies related to such programs and all obligations related to selection and granting thereof are the sole responsibility of BII.
- Entrants must have finished their Ph.D.-level education within the last 10 years and must hold an M.D., Ph.D., D.V.M., Pharm.D., or combination of these degrees at the time of entry. If the applicant has more than one advanced degree, the 10 years are counted from the date that all degrees were completed in the case of uninterrupted training, such as a dual degree M.D.-Ph.D. program.
- The prize will be awarded annually to one young scientist based on work done in the past 3 years.
- The editors of science seek to recognize bold researchers who are asking fundamental questions at the intersection of the life sciences and entrepreneurship. They seek scientists who can show that they have reached across field boundaries with an enthusiasm that has combined outstanding basic science with an eye towards application in the marketplace.
- Successful applicants might have made significant advances in producing results that were protected as intellectual property and licensed to a commercial entity – for example, proprietary drugs and biologics, diagnostics, therapeutic interventions, health care information technology, or new solutions to biobased production of fuels, chemicals and foods.
- They welcome applications from those who take risks to address relevant and exciting questions with creative approaches, even if the outcome may be considered a negative result.
- The prize is awarded for outstanding research performed by the applicant as described in a 1,000-word essay.
The entrant must submit the following items:
- A completed Entry Form.
- An essay, written by the entrant, that demonstrates their research as it relays to entrepreneurship. The essay must not exceed 1,000 words in length. The applicant must have done or directed all of the work, and it must have been performed in the last 3 years.
- A one-page letter of recommendation from the entrant’s postdoctoral adviser, supervisor, or other senior colleague who is familiar with their work.
- A curriculum vitae that includes the following: Full citations of papers that the entrant has published on the research described in the essay Academic and professional awards and honors that the entrant has received; andRelevant professional experience.
- Copies of two of the entrant’s papers that are most relevant to the essay.
- The Entry Form and additional submission materials must be submitted electronically through their prize management system.
Application Deadline: November 1, 2021Application ClosedOfficial link