Call for stories for 2024 Purorrelato, Casa África Micro-story Contest!
The tenth edition of Purorrelato, a micro-story contest organised by Casa África, is now open. Its goal is to support literary works that inspire us to think and feel about Africa and to keep presenting us with diverse realities that approach the continent, devoid of the long-standing stereotypes that have associated it.
Anyone over the age of eighteen may enter, just like in past editions, and each author may submit no more than three micro-stories. Only the employees of Casa África and the victors of past tournaments are not eligible. The micro-stories should all have some connection to Africa, although the theme is open. The story’s relationship to Africa could be as little as a detail or as significant as the entire plot, depending on whether it takes place inside or outside of the continent.
The micro-stories also have to be unique, unpublished, and not be in the process of winning a reward or waiting on a judgement from another competition or contest. Participants are accountable for any claims that may be made in this regard and must ensure that there are no third-party rights over the micro-stories they submit.
The micro-stories, which have a maximum length of 1500 characters (not words) including spaces and without the title, may be submitted in any of the following languages: Spanish, English, French, or Portuguese. A jury made up of well-known African and/or Spanish literary specialists will evaluate the stories submitted.
The Casa África Consortium, will publicise the achievements of award winners in each competition via its available media channels and may convene a public ceremony to present the awards. Participants may request the withdrawal of the micro-stories submitted to the competition that have not been awarded prizes. The withdrawn micro-stories will not be incorporated into Casa África’s archive nor will they be used by the Consortium for informative purposes.
- First award: 750 euros
- Second award: 375 euros
- Third award: 225 euros
- In addition to the financial awards, Casa África may grant runners-up prizes or special mentions to authors whose texts are ranked between fourth and sixth place
- All natural persons over 18 years may submit their own micro-stories and challenge for the prizes.
- Notwithstanding the above, persons to whom any of the following circumstances are applicable will not be eligible to participate:
- Previous winners of any “Purorrelato” micro-story competition awarded by the Consortium.
- A professional relationship with the Casa África Consortium or with any of its partner organizations (Ministry of Foreign Affairs, European Union and Cooperation; the Spanish Agency of International Cooperation for Development; the Government of the Autonomous Community of the Canary Islands and the City Council of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria).
- A blood relationship within the fourth degree of consanguinity or affinity within the second degree of consanguinity with any individual who provides services in the Consortium or with any of the members of the Jury that is constituted for the competition.
- That any of the circumstances foreseen in Article 13.2 of Law 38/2003, of 17 November, are met.
- Participants in each competition may submit up to a maximum of three micro-stories per application.
- Download, fill in, sign and scan your application form (the form can be found in the official website) . Save the generated PDF because you will need it to attach it on the platform
- Have your micro-stories ready
- Have a copy of your ID card or passport ready
- With all these documents ready, enter Mundo Arti, the Apply Link will lead to Mundo Arti directly (you will have to register if you have not done so before).
Application Deadline: April 16, 2024 (47 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link