The Japan Media Arts Festival is a comprehensive festival of Media Arts (Media Geijutsu in Japanese) that honours outstanding works from a diverse range of media – from animation and comics to media art and games. The festival gives awards in each of its four divisions: Art, Entertainment, Animation, and Manga. It also provides a platform for appreciation of the award-winning and other notable works. Since its start in 1997, the festival has recognized significant works of high artistry and creativity, and in addition to a yearly Exhibition of Award-winning Works, has held other events, such as symposiums, screenings, and showcases.
In the 24th Arts Festival, there will be an open call for a work to be shown on the Globe-like display at Miraikan – The National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation.
Miraikan has two spherical video systems. The first is Geo-Cosmos, a spherical display and the museum’s signature exhibition. The second is Dome Theater GAIA, equipped with a full-dome 3D video system.
In 2020, humankind has undergone an exceptional experience: the entire world is facing the same problem, a problem that has spread beyond the borders of nations and regions. Society and technology were changing with blinding speed until the brakes were slammed; many people have taken a long, hard look at the world stopped in its tracks. We encourage you to take advantage of the defining characteristic of the displays of the Miraikan—their spherical shape—to depict the world that unfolds around us without dividing it into sections, and to pioneer the expression of new viewpoints that change our global awareness.
Looking forward to seeing expressions taking advantage of those differences, the festival calls for work in the two categories, “Geo-Cosmos Category” and “Dome Theater Category.”
- Geo-Cosmos Category: Certificate, trophy, 500,000 Japanese yen
- Dome Theater Category: Certificate, trophy, 500,000 Japanese yen
- Your work will be displayed at the The National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation in Japan
- Please confirm that your entry satisfies all of the following conditions before submitting.
- Entrants must own copyrights for the works they submit.
- People other than artists (copyright holders) submitting works must obtain consent from the copyright holder.
* Please read and consent to the rules and special conditions of entry before submitting entries.
- Works may not contain the following types of content.
- As a public facility, the museum does not permit excessively violent expressions, sexual expressions, or any other expressions that violate public order and morals.
- Miraikan is unable to screen video works that seek to publicize or advertise merchandise (including corporate logos and names of merchandise) or the like; such works are ineligible for selection.
- Already completed or released video works
- Works must be completed or released between Saturday, November 30, 2019 and Tuesday, October 20, 2020.
* Works completed, changed, renewed, presented or released during the above period are eligible for entry.
* Note that works submitted for the Festival Platform Awards cannot be submitted for awards in the Art, Entertainment, Animation, or Manga categories. Works submitted for awards in any or all of these four categories as well as the Festival Platform Awards may be declared ineligible for selection for both.
- It must be possible to convert or adjust the submitted work to the prescribed format for screening at 24th Exhibition of Award-winning Works in the event that it wins an award.
- Video works to be newly created for the spherical exhibitions at Miraikan (planned/unfinished works)
- The work must be created and completed in the prescribed format for screening at Exhibitions of Award-winning Works for 24th festival in the event that it wins an award.
Application Deadline: October 20, 2020Application ClosedOfficial link