The COVID19 Global Hackathon is an opportunity for developers to build software solutions that drive social impact, with the aim of tackling some of the challenges related to the current coronavirus (COVID19) pandemic.
Innovators around the world are encouraged to #BuildforCOVID19 using technologies of their choice across a range of suggested themes and challenge areas – some of which have been sourced through health partners including the World Health Organization and scientists at the Chan Zuckerberg Biohub.
The following themes are suggested to help spark ideas.
- Health: Address and scale a range of health initiatives, including preventative/hygiene behaviors (especially for at-risk countries and populations), supporting frontline health workers, scaling telemedicine, contact tracing/containment strategies, treatment, and diagnosis development.
- Vulnerable Populations: The set of problems facing the elderly and the immuno-compromised, such as access to meals and groceries, and supporting those who are losing jobs and income.
- Businesses: The set of problems that businesses are facing to stay afloat, collaborate effectively and move parts of their business online.
- Community: Promoting connection to friends, family, and neighbors to combat social isolation and the digitizing of public services for local governments.
- Education: Alternative learning environments and tools for students, teachers, and entire school systems.
- Entertainment: Alternatives to traditional forms of entertainment that can keep the talent and audiences safe and healthy.
- Other: The above themes are just suggestions. Feel empowered to get creative!
Guidelines for proposal:
- Option 1: Build a production-ready solution for immediate impact (Projects that are ready to hit the ground running in communities around the world.)
- Option 2: Ship an awesome proof-of-concept with lots of potentials. (Conceptual projects with bucket-loads of promise.)
Selected candidates will be awarded with the following.
- Social impact – The real reward is driving meaningful social impact for the COVID-19 response
- Recognition – Judge-selected projects will be shared widely across tech ecosystem and partner networks
- The hackathon welcomes locally and globally focused solutions
- Open to all developers – with support from technology companies and platforms including Facebook, Giphy, Microsoft, Pinterest, Slack, TikTok, Twitter and WeChat, who will be sharing resources to support participants throughout the submission period.
- Any and all tech stacks are welcome, but we encourage teams to build on tech stacks that are easy to scale and commonly used. Any necessary supplementary files, such as installation files or instructions, should be included with the submission as a single file or a zip.
Apply online through the given link.
- Submissions must include a name and description with the team members, what problem the entry product solves, and under which “track” it falls.
- Submissions should include at least a design and a prototype, or simulation where applicable, along with a proposal of next steps, path forward, and a description of the necessary resources and plan to implement the project.
- Video demonstrations are encouraged and should be submitted as a link to Youtube, Vimeo, or Youku. (Videos should be a maximum of 2 minutes long.)
Application Deadline: March 30, 2020Application ClosedOfficial link