After 47 years, the Banff Centre Mountain Film and Book Festival has a proven track record as one of the most prestigious and largest mountain culture festivals in the world. Located in the stunning Canadian Rocky Mountains, the Festival is a programming-driven, competitive event bringing together the best films and books on mountains and the spirit of adventure from around the world. The 2023 festival will be a combination of in-person theatre events and virtual online screenings.
The festival in Banff offers the chance to meet other filmmakers and industry professionals to exchange ideas and collaborate in a highly creative and inspiring atmosphere. It’s also a great opportunity to connect with leaders in the outdoor adventure field, including climbers, mountaineers, gear manufacturers, potential sponsors, and journalists.
Films entered into the competition will be considered for inclusion in the World Tour programs that reach a global audience of over half a million people through screenings in over 40 countries. Short films are particularly popular for the programming flexibility they provide so if submitting a longer film, applicants may wish to also enter a shorter version in competition for both Festival and World Tour consideration (World Tour programs are typically 2 hours long and contain 5-9 mixed films).
Founded in 1933, Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity is a learning organization built upon an extraordinary legacy of excellence in artistic and creative development. What started as a single course in drama has grown to become a global organization leading in arts, culture, and creativity across dozens of disciplines. From the home in the stunning Canadian Rocky Mountains, Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity aims to inspire everyone who attends the campus – artists, leaders, and thinkers – to unleash their creative potential.
Banff Centre is supported by funding from the Government of Alberta through Alberta Enterprise and Advanced Education, Alberta Infrastructure, and the Alberta Foundation for the Arts. Arts programs are supported by funding from the Government of Canada through the Canada Council for the Arts, and the Department of Canadian Heritage through the Canada Arts Training Fund. The experience at Banff Centre is also enriched through generous support from individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Grand Prize of $5,000.
- Best Film(Adventure) award of $3,000
- Best Film(Climbing) award of $3,000
- Best Film(Environment) award of $3,000
- Best Film(Mountain Culture) award of $3,000
- Best Film(Mountain Sports) award of $3,000
- Best Film(Snow Sports) award of $3,000
- Best Short Film award of $3,000 (Under 20 minutes in length)
- Best Feature Film award of $3,000 (Over 70 minutes in length)
- Creative Excellence award of $3,000
- Audience Choice Award of $3,000
- Film finalists will be invited to join the Festival, and will receive as special guests the following:
- An opportunity to introduce your film on stage and represent their film,
- Access to the guest-only screening theatre,
- Invitations to networking and social events,
- One hotel room for three nights during the festival.
- Films entered into the competition will also be considered for inclusion in the World Tour.
- The prize amounts listed are in Canadian dollars.
- Films produced in the years 2021, 2022, and 2023 are eligible for competition.
- Completed films need to be uploaded at the time of entry.
- If English is not the original language of the film, it MUST be entered into competition with English subtitles, or be dubbed in English. (A sans-serif font with maximum readability against both light and dark backgrounds for subtitles is recommended.)
- Films must be entered into one category only.
- Any film submitted must fit the criteria of one or more of the subject-based categories.
- The same film may only be entered once in the Mountain Film Competition.
- Cuts, trailers, or unfinished projects will not be accepted.
- All Banff Centre staff are excluded from submitting entries.
- For entry to the Film Competition, filmmakers are required to submit their films via FilmFreeway. (Available on the apply link.)
- Applicants will have to sign up to submit the work. (Available on the Submit Now button.)
- After signing up, applicants will have to sign in to the account and complete the necessary steps to submit the work.
Application Deadline: August 3, 2023 (56 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link