The WTO has issued a call for young economists to submit papers for the 2021 WTO Essay Award. The award aims to promote high-quality research on trade policy and international trade cooperation and to reinforce the relationship between the WTO and the academic community.
The winning essay may be published in the WTO Working Paper Series. It is the responsibility of the author(s) to endeavor to secure publication of the contribution in a journal. The award ceremony will take place on 9-11 September 2021 in Ghent (Belgium).
An Academic Selection Panel is responsible for the selection of the winning paper. The panel comprises:
- Professor Beata Javorcik (University of Oxford)
- Professor Robert Staiger (Dartmouth College)
- Professor Alberto Trejos (INCAE Business School).
Dr Robert Koopman (Director, Economic Research and Statistics Division, WTO Secretariat) is ex officio member of the panel. Dr Roberta Piermartini (Chief, Trade Cost Analysis Section, WTO) coordinates the work of the panel.
- The annual WTO Essay Award provides a prize of CHF 5,000 to the author(s) of the winning essay. In the case of a co-authored paper, the prize will be equally divided among the authors. The winning paper will be officially announced at the annual meeting of the European Trade Study Group, which is the largest conference specializing in international trade.
- The winning author will receive funding to attend the meeting.
- The winning essay may be published in the WTO Working Paper Series.
- The paper must address issues related to trade policy and international trade cooperation.
- The author(s) of the paper must possess or be engaged in the completion of a PhD degree and, if over 30 years of age, be no more than two years past a PhD defense.
- In the case of co-authored papers, this requirement shall apply to all authors.
- In addition, to be considered for the award, essays cannot exceed 15,000 words.
All submissions should be sent to [email protected]. Submissions should include as separate attachments in PDF format:
1. the essay
2. the CV of the author(s), specifying (i) current affiliation(s), (ii) the academic institution awarding the PhD, (iii) the year (or the expected year) of the PhD, (iv) the date of birth of the author(s).
Application Deadline: June 7, 2021 (24 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link